Wireless guitar units? - Any experience with current models? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Wireless guitar units? - Any experience with current models?

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a mid-line wireless unit. *I'm going to be doing some playing out for the first time in a while, and I like wireless units for the electrocution protection, more so than the freedom to run all over the place (but that's not bad either).

I had a Samson unit about five years ago that did the job wonderfully, and only added a little bit of compression, but sold it during a cash crunch.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for any of the current offerings? *Any suggestions for models to stay away from? *Obviously I want to stay away from any models that color the tone too much, but I've been pretty lucky in the past at being able to resolve that. For one thing, it seems to work better if I use a LONG cord (like stage length) between the receiver and the amp. *It seems to remove some of the compression, and in an emergency can just be pulled out of the receiver and plugged straight into the guitar.

I guess this also might be a good place to share any humorous wireless stories. * *

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 08:11 PM

Wireless guitar units?

Hey Bill, I just picked up a Samson Concert IV series here and it's awesome. *We played a new years gig and the hall we were in had a front wall made entirely of glass so I ran outside while playing and watched through the glass!! I was probably about 300 feet away at the farthest point and it never cut out. *In fact, before I bought it, my test was to plug it in and go for a walk. *Well, I walked right out of the store and down the entire city block. *It got really buzzy but the signal was still there. *I got mine in a going out of business sale brand new for only $250 Canadian (about $160 US) but even regular price they are only about $600 Canadian ($400 US) *I would recommend this one for sure.
Jeremy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:21 PM

Wireless guitar units?

I've been using a shure "UT" wireless for about 1 1/2 years now. *I usually gig two nights a week, some times three or four. *I've had no problems with this wireless. *I had a Samson true diversity VHF unit before this for only a month and it drove me nuts!!! (it had all kinds of noise problems) *I sent it back and later bought the Shure. *Whatever you do get a UHF unit (not vhf). *I love the Shure, I really don't have a noticable change in tone from it. *The only time I've ever had a problem was when I ran a 20foot cord from my rack, where it's mounted, to my wah pedal then back through another 20 footer to my amp. It had a buzz but only on the dirty channel of my amp, clean was perfect. *But if you're really wanting to go all out, try the X-wire... I've heard great things about this baby! *One day, one day... I'll get one to go with my Bogner and my DNA. *Then I'll be able to load it in my Viper and drive out of my 6 car garage and... and... and... well you get the idea. *Sorry it got away from me there. *Anyway, check out the UHF units.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 12:32 AM

Wireless guitar units?

I've had good experiences with my Samson Concert IV as well. *Im just not using mine anymore now that Im not in a band.
Email me for further details, ***hint hint nudge nudge*** *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 01:23 AM

Wireless guitar units?

I run my concert IV with a 20 foot cord going to my pedal board which consists of *a wah, 4 Boss stomp boxes, a tuner (so I can easily see it) and a couple other things. *Then back with another 20 foot cord. *It is nice and quiet and I don't have any really noticable signal loss or tone variations.
Jeremy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 07:44 AM

Wireless guitar units?

I use a cheap Nady 49 unit that I got from eBay for like, $30. I can't tell much difference between it and a $200 system.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 10:45 AM

Wireless guitar units?

Quote:
Quote: from littlegreenman on 1:23 am on Jan. 15, 2001
I run my concert IV with a 20 foot cord going to my pedal board which consists of *a wah, 4 Boss stomp boxes, a tuner (so I can easily see it) and a couple other things. *Then back with another 20 foot cord. *It is nice and quiet and I don't have any really noticable signal loss or tone variations.
Jeremy
hummm???? *maybe I'm doing something wrong. *But I definately get a hum when I'm on distortion. *It's not noticable while I'm playing, only when I stop. *I tried putting my wireless on my pedal board and ran only a 20foot cord from there to my amp, it was totally quiet. *I just have this major fear of stepping on the unit, so back in the rack it went. i know its not the cord... I just figured it was the length of the cables.
You know one funny thing did happen once... I was using a friends single diversity Nady system and we were right in the middle of this balled... I switch to distortion for this heart felt solo... and suddenly pickup this guy on his c.b.! *I couldn't understand what he was saying, just kind of a distorted sounding garbled mess. *The whole place just cracked up... needless to say the "mood" was out the window. *Lets just say I switched to a cord really quick. *The funny thing is when I brought it back to him and told him the story he said "oh yeah, it does that all the time" AHHHHHHH!!!!!! thanks pal!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Wireless guitar units?

Thanks for the suggestions guys! *Of course, feel free to keep them coming. *I'm going to check out the models mentioned and see what will work best for me.

Tom, I noticed your for sale ad when I did a search for wireless units before posting my question. *I figured it would be gone by now. *If I settle on a Samson Concert IV I'll contact you before buying a new one. *

I also picked up a guy's CB radio once through my amp, but NOT when using a wireless. I briefly used an old beat-to-heck rack mountable Peavey equalizer as a boost before the amp. *It sounded wonderful, but one night the thing started picking up the CB radio from a good old boy out in the parking lot. *And THIS guy was very understandable. *Fortunately I guessed right and immediately yanked the eq out of the signal chain. I was terrified he was going to bad mouth us through my own amp. *The eq never went back into the signal chain.

Bill
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 11:30 AM

Wireless guitar units?

If your not playing a huge stage...
I have been using a Nady 101 for years.
It only has about 50' line of sight range, but have never had any troble with it.
I also used to own a Sure unit but it was very plastic and got shattered one night.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 3
Wireless guitar units?

I use an X-Wire... man is it nice.

Now, people have said that the X-Wire isn't worth the money. *I dare those people to find another 20 bit, digital UHF, quadiversity wireless system that goes new for under $800.

Need I say more? *It's not labeled the best instrument wireless for nothing. *If you want one, go to Tour Supply Inc. *Ask for Lew, he'll treat you right.

(Edited by jay ratkowski at 2:22 am on Jan. 16, 2001)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 06:01 PM

Wireless guitar units?

ummmm X-wire (drool, drool)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Wireless guitar units?

Thanks again everyone. I still haven't decided on what to get (probably won't until I'm in the store), but you've given me some reading to do!

Jay, thanks for the link to Tour Supply, Inc. * They have some REALLY nice stuff to drool over there. *

Glen, we need an "Emoticon" for drooling, ala Homer Simpson! *:biggrin:

Bill

Tags
pedal board , stomp box , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode