Wireless: Samson or Sennheiser - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Wireless: Samson or Sennheiser

Hi,

I wanna buy a wireless set in the near future and Im dubbing bewteen 2.
The Sennheiser Freeport
The SAMSON AIRLINE 77 AL77GTG

Does anyone have any experience with these sets. Please let me know what your findings are. Other tips etc are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Re: Wireless: Samson or Sennheiser

i have the sennheiser freeport, and it kinda sucks. I dont use it anymore, i just went back to cables. with the volume cranked, it sucks a little bit of tone/umph out of your sound. the average person probably wouldn't tell the difference, but if you play your rig back to back with this and a quality cable you'll be able to tell. and the 1/4-1/8" cable from the guitar to the pack went bad on me.

I can't reccomend the freeport
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 AM

Reviews: 65

I would go for any of the new AKG Pro models.

I have the WMS 40 Pro Guitar Special (which comes with the famous "guitar bug" and a headset mic), if you do not need the mic there is the WMS 40 Pro instrumental plus guitar bug.

These things are quite expensive, but they have superior tone to all others I tested.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Reviews: 3

I just bought an X2 Digital Wireless XDS 95 and it is fantastic. No tone coloration at all and works great. Only bummer is it's plastic but I take care of my gear so shouldn't be an issue.

Got great reviews as well
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey Tank,

I cant seem to find any distibutors of this system in The Netherlands. Ive checked a German store that has some AKG systems but none are true diversity yet they state they are Pro series. In other words I cant find your wireless set anywhere (locally). I did off course check akg's website but the specs werent all that complete.

too make things easier. Why should I have True diversity in stead of non diversity? What are THE specs to choose for (channels, etc etc) Note that Live in EUrope so a set must be EU approved.

Last edited by mike80sguy; 11-13-2007 at 11:28 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike80sguy View Post
Hey Tank,

I cant seem to find any distibutors of this system in The Netherlands. Ive checked a German store that has some AKG systems but none are true diversity yet they state they are Pro series. In other words I cant find your wireless set anywhere (locally). I did off course check akg's website but the specs werent all that complete.

too make things easier. Why should I have True diversity in stead of non diversity? What are THE specs to choose for (channels, etc etc) Note that Live in EUrope so a set must be EU approved.
Well I can check the specs.
You may also want to try one of the internet dealers like thomann:
http://www.thomann.de/at/akg_wms40_p...b_set_eu63.htm

Use their contact page and phone them, they are quite competent and helpful and prolly can answer your questions very fast.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:02 PM

I have a Samson VHF-TD Series and a Shure unit, both are single channel, dual diversity systems and I have had no issues with either of them. Samson make very solid products.

Carvin have a nice looking unit too and they will ship to Europe I believe...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Another vote for the X-Wire. These digital units just sound like a good cable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM

i have the freeport, i like it, but if i had to do it again, i would save up for the sennheiser g2. it is one of the industry standards. for the budget, though, the audio technica stuff is really good. you will want the best bang for thebuck, definitely get multiple channels if you can. reason is if you plan to travel outside of your town to do shows, you will need extra channels in case you have interference with other frequencies in other areas. food for thought.

rich
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

after doin some reading up and checkin out I kinda let the whole limited budget thing slip. I dont need one yesterday so its gonna a longer term thing and Im holdin out for a EW172G2

thx for the replies
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike80sguy View Post
after doin some reading up and checkin out I kinda let the whole limited budget thing slip. I dont need one yesterday so its gonna a longer term thing and Im holdin out for a EW172G2

thx for the replies
good choice. its the sennheiser bad boy. i will more than likely invest in that one sometime next year as well.

rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode