Wireless suggestions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Wireless suggestions?

Hey forum dudes
I'm looking to get a wireless unit for my setup. Any suggestions? I'm pretty clueless about them. It's only for home type use.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 3
I'm sure a lot of people will say "oh this is the best setup to get! EVERYTHING ELSE SUX!" But really, if you're not planning on gigging with it, any modern UHF system should do. Shure is pretty good for the money.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of people will say "oh this is the best setup to get! EVERYTHING ELSE SUX!"
I was gonna be one of those people. I wouldve said anything under $1000 isnt worth it for a wireless but you only need it for home?

Curious? Why do you need a wireless for home? It kind of defeats the point. Nobody would choose wireless over cable for sound (99% of people anyway) but they make the sacrifice becouse it free's you so much for performance. I used one for a long time. My band was always very physical on stage. Are you doin alot of running around when you play at home?

Id say theres a million things you could probably be better off buying for your rig instead of a wireless if you dont play out. Honestly, I cant think of why youd want to compromise your sound or one way a wireless would be more practicle for practice and jamming.

Why do you feel you need one?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:57 PM

I agree with Dan, but have to admit wireless is FUN!! You might decide if you really need one or is there something else you could put to better use before dropping any amount of $ on a system.
I personally use an AKG WMS40 UHF system and have had NO problems. I don't believe in their "guitar bugs". They actually suck for live performances as they have far less power to send a signal = bad tone or drop-outs of tone. The body pack is far more reliable. They can be had for under $300, but really decide what your need for it is compared to something that could really inspire you and your playing.
Todd

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:59 AM

Nothing under $1000? I guess I wasted my money on an XWire.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:37 AM

Well, I only use mine at home. I am plugged into my stereo with a DG Stomp, and I can pipe my signal anywhere I have speakers without hauling around an amp - kitchen, basement, living room, den. Soon I'll have them in the bedroom, too. Now if I could just rig up a remote switcher. I can use my pocket Zoom unit to effect the signal BEFORE the wireless, but anyone whose compared a DG to a Zoom will know why I don't... ;-)

I liked the Sennheiser Evolution series best when I got it, but any unit that is
1) UHF,
2) Diversity, and
3) frequency agile should be just fine.

Where do ya get an X-wire for <$1000?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 10:44 AM

If you're SERIOUS, go to www.yoursupply.com and head to the ecommerce site. You'll have to email/IM them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Nothing under $1000? I guess I wasted my money on an XWire.
My point was that cheap Wireless units sound bad. They wreck your whole sound. I started with the Shure UHF's and then the Sennhieser evolution series like JESTER. I went on to one of the best systems sony made at the time and the difference was very noticable. You dont see the high end units advertised so I think most people assume something like the evolutions and Shure UHF's at 600$ are the best made so they make themselves think they sound the best. Well the units more expensive then the one I bought were closer to 2500$. Depends how much your willing to sacrifice. If I thought they sounded nearly as good as cable, Id buy it. Even my Sony wasnt always reliable. It cut out, had interference and thinned out and that was well over $1k. Going back to cable after a few years I realized its not that big a difference. It just feels like it is at first when you first run round "yeah Im free Im free!!"

I still think, fun or not, it would be a huge waste of funds for iain to get one.

I agree that the bug-type units sound worse and are not that reliable. YES-They fall out. They cut out alot. Etc...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

You are probably right that it would be a waste of $$, for me. I'm more curious, than anything...

As far as the X-Wires go; they must be alright, Vai used one (not that artist use always = best).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode