Wizard wah for a John Petrucci sound? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Wizard wah for a John Petrucci sound?

I'm considering buying a Wizard wah - If what I've read is anything to go by, it's a step in the right direction - I've read reviews where I can, and have consulted Analog Man's website. I use an RG1570, with currently-stock pups (Thinking of an Air Norton/D-Sonic or Tone Zone at some point). I use a fair amount of gain, (I tend to play lead most, and like to use enough gain to enhance the definition of my tone and add sustain, for some nice 'fluid lead sounds', ala Vai) and am looking for something that will maintain definition, and give me that nice saturated wah sound. I currently use a 2002 Morley Power Wah, which is a nice pedal, but my main complaint is that it's sweep is a little limited - This is fine for some nice vocal wailing for leads, which gives a sound very similar to the tone used on Vai's Aching Hunger, but I find it to be lacking for rhythm work, especially with distortion, when it tends to lose definition completely. The top end is also very harsh (although this can be useful), and it's a little noisy, but nothing major, Thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:09 AM

Re: Wizard wah for a John Petrucci sound?

Wizard wah = Satriani. If you want petrucci why not get the rackmount crybaby, it can't be that much more expensive than a Teese. Not that there is anything wrong with teese, I love my RMC 3
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Wizard wah = Satriani. If you want petrucci why not get the rackmount crybaby, it can't be that much more expensive than a Teese. Not that there is anything wrong with teese, I love my RMC 3
Ok cool, thanks. I would get the rackmount, but damn it's expensive over here , so I'm going to go with a nice pedal wah. I'm also considering Budda and the Crybaby Classic; I've just heard amazing reviews of RMC. Would an RMC3 do it, seeing as you've got one? Thanks
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM

I have a Teese RMC3 wah adjusted similar to the Wizard Wah, and I was noticing the other day that I was nailing those tones from Dream Theater's "Voices", as well as Satch's "Surfing with the Alien". Never knew that Satriani uses a Teese, but now it makes sense! If you have to order one, I recommend MusicToyz. I had a defective wah (really loud buzzing), and he sent me a new one before I even sent the old one back.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM

Satriani has said in a few recent interviews that in the studio (and lately live) he's been using his Dunlop 535Q and a Teese wah in his setup.

The RMC3 seems to be the best wah you can buy, it sounds awesome and it's true bypass with a nice buffer circuit inside. You can adjust practically everything, low, mid, high, range, intensity, and level/gain.

Seems like it's a versatile pedal to buy.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBain View Post
Ok cool, thanks. I would get the rackmount, but damn it's expensive over here ,

Slightly off topic, but I just looked up how much these are over here out of interest. Bloody hell! £800 (about $1600) for a wah! Do these thing come with a free roady?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I have a Teese RMC3 wah adjusted similar to the Wizard Wah, and I was noticing the other day that I was nailing those tones from Dream Theater's "Voices", as well as Satch's "Surfing with the Alien". Never knew that Satriani uses a Teese, but now it makes sense! If you have to order one, I recommend MusicToyz. I had a defective wah (really loud buzzing), and he sent me a new one before I even sent the old one back.
Thanks dude - that's great; That's really the tone I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Slightly off topic, but I just looked up how much these are over here out of interest. Bloody hell! 800 (about $1600) for a wah! Do these thing come with a free roady?
It really is ridiculous. It's really disheartening to see that stuff on MF and such is often the same number of $ as it is for us in , but they don't ship overseas . It's $599 - 500 price difference?!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:25 PM

The 535q pretty much nails Petrucci's wah tone. Just get that. It's a whole lot cheaper than a Teese wah.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43 View Post
The 535q pretty much nails Petrucci's wah tone. Just get that. It's a whole lot cheaper than a Teese wah.
It's certainly on my list - thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43 View Post
Come to think of it, what with elevated prices over here (), there's only about 10 (about $20) difference between the 535Q and the Wizard.

Tags
air norton , teese rmc , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode