XXX vs. 5150II Differences? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

XXX vs. 5150II Differences?

What are they big differences between the Peavey XXX & the 5150II heads? The only thing I've noticed so far is...

1. The XXX has 3 12AX7 tubes, but the 5150II has 6 12AX7s.
2. The XXX has 3 footswitchable channels, but the 5150II only has 2.

Is there anything I'm missing? Which one is better and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 11:41 PM

Good grief, XXX hands down. Three useful channels that sound good.

5150 has no real clean channel. Enough said.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

But how does the XXX gain compare to the 5150II? 3 vs. 6 preamp tubes tells me the 5150II would stomp the XXX for searing metal gain. Your thoughts?

I like having 3 channels though.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:39 AM

I was chatting with Ricky Garcia online a few weeks ago and he told me just got the XXX. He said it's awesome.....tons of gain......he loves the sound
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:49 AM

I talked to Joe Satriani at G3 and he said the XXX had way too much gain - Of course, Satriani's style isn't exactly searing metal... but i played one in a shop and i agreed - it's rediculus... The 5150II i tried really sucked though. The XXX should definatly have enough gain for anything....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:21 PM

The XXX has plenty of gain. I would say it has almost as much as the 5150II(I've had both). I always thought the 5150s got a little to noisy when you take the gain past 5. The XXX seemed pretty quiet. Maybe because it has 3 less preamp tubes. Both are great amps though.
Also, the XXX has the adjustable levels on the effects loop the 5150II does not. But the 5150s has the resonance control knob on the front which is cool too and the XXX has the 3 way resonance switch on the back.
Tough choice.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketBot
The XXX has plenty of gain. I would say it has almost as much as the 5150II(I've had both). I always thought the 5150s got a little to noisy when you take the gain past 5. The XXX seemed pretty quiet. Maybe because it has 3 less preamp tubes. Both are great amps though.
Also, the XXX has the adjustable levels on the effects loop the 5150II does not. But the 5150s has the resonance control knob on the front which is cool too and the XXX has the 3 way resonance switch on the back.
Tough choice.
Now THAT's the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks man.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:03 PM

No problem.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 PM

well

All the "METAL" bands are using Rectifiers and 5150's or 5150 II's in their rigs. A lot of the shows I've seen the bands with 2 guitarists one uses a 5150 the other has mesa or they both have the same. A lot more guys have the 5150 II though. Bands such as In Flames, Chimaira, 40 below Summer, Arch Enemy, Sworn Enemy etc.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Re: XXX vs. 5150II Differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777 View Post
What are they big differences between the Peavey XXX & the 5150II heads? The only thing I've noticed so far is...

1. The XXX has 3 12AX7 tubes, but the 5150II has 6 12AX7s.
2. The XXX has 3 footswitchable channels, but the 5150II only has 2.

Is there anything I'm missing? Which one is better and why?
I originally purchased one of the first batches of xxx amps, because I found out George Lynch was helping in the design process, which was headed towards a second revision called the 'Brahma'. He's my mentor player. He had a falling out with Peavey, and GL went to Randall to work on the Lynch Box head which was a modular amp with 4 Lynch modules: SuperV(clean), Mr.Scary(Dokken), Brahma(modern), Grail(Dokken) and Judge(Dokken - MyFav). In the end...I'm not so sure the xxx didn't capture all these tones very nicely, but I've never owned a LynchBox as yet, so I could be mistaken.

Nevertheless, I've been playing through this autographed xxx head for a number of years now, and haven't had a desire to look for another amp to replace it for the duration. It's been solid and I've been more than pleased with the fantastic tone I've gotten from it for all genre's of music really. Just solid as hell... It's got more gain than I can possibly deal with, and I've had it out of the shell to fix a stuck relay when I first purchased it.

There are 'zero' ic's in the schematic/design, and it's just an 'old school' passive component design in general. Like the old 'plexi' amps were, amongst others. Keep in mind that just because it has only 3 ax7 tubes in the preamp section doesn't at all mean it lacks in gain, important note! You have to consider the component design circuitry in order to determine that. Remember there are solid state amps out there with 'zero' tubes and massive gain! So don't always count the tubes when considering the amount of gain, and what's actually usable and outside the 'fizz' offering. In fact, I'd say the xxx has more overall usable gain than the 5150 II I just purchased and biased. When you get past a pre gain of 7, on the 5150 ii, the fizz is loud and clear to my ear anyway. This is also a new head for me, and I'll continue to evaluate it before keeping/selling it.

Hey, the 5150 ii head sounds great as well, you can't go wrong, I'm just not sure it can do anything I can't mimic with the xxx at this point in my evaluation... And I'm fairly certain I can get a number of different tones with the xxx that I can't get with the 5150 ii head. So far I'd say the eq section is way better and more dynamic than the 5150, love the individual channel control of the xxx over the 5150 ii (far more dynamic), the clean channel sounds more versatile to me thus far, and the ultra channel of the xxx is just off the deep end with gain... However, the ultra channel can also be very nicely adjusted for a nasty rock/blues thing, so versatile as well... Just a monster of an amp, considering it's dimensional possibilities. It's not a popular amp at all, primarily because of the trucker girl front plate and 'hair/body' references in the eq section. I'll admit, pretty glam in that regard for sure. However, the amp performance itself...what a beauty or beast...really! Very versatile overall.

I'll keep ya'll posted on how the evaluation of my newly acquired 5150 ii goes, but so far I'm not sure I can't get all the tones I can get out of the xxx very easily. I know it doesn't have the same useable gain...that's clear to me. However I'm certain, at this point anyway, I can't get the same mid range and low end thump out of the 5150 ii. I'm also convinced at this point that the 5150 ii isn't as versatile as the xxx. Could change my opinion as I'm a rookie with this amp. If my opinion does change...I'll post accordingly. Also, they're both really top shelf amps at a fantastic value... So we're really talking about fine tune issues here... There are also other adds I'm currently in favor of the xxx for at this point, but I've typed quite a bit already...so if you'd like to hear about these let me know.

Hope this is yet another helpful opinion, and opinion it is... If I can offer any specific setting sound clips or examples for the group, please let me know.

Peace,

Ltd88

Last edited by JacksonLtd88; 05-23-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: gramatical
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Geeeez--that's one hell of a first post, and quite helpful!
Thanks for sharing your insight--I'm sure it will help the OP and any others considering this amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonLtd88 View Post
I originally purchased one of the first batches of xxx amps, because I found out George Lynch was helping in the design process, which was headed towards a second revision called the 'Brahma'. He's my mentor player. He had a falling out with Peavey, and GL went to Randall to work on the Lynch Box head which was a modular amp with 4 Lynch modules: SuperV(clean), Mr.Scary(Dokken), Brahma(modern), Grail(Dokken) and Judge(Dokken - MyFav). In the end...I'm not so sure the xxx didn't capture all these tones very nicely, but I've never owned a LynchBox as yet, so I could be mistaken.

Nevertheless, I've been playing through this autographed xxx head for a number of years now, and haven't had a desire to look for another amp to replace it for the duration. It's been solid and I've been more than pleased with the fantastic tone I've gotten from it for all genre's of music really. Just solid as hell... It's got more gain than I can possibly deal with, and I've had it out of the shell to fix a stuck relay when I first purchased it.

There are 'zero' ic's in the schematic/design, and it's just an 'old school' passive component design in general. Like the old 'plexi' amps were, amongst others. Keep in mind that just because it has only 3 ax7 tubes in the preamp section doesn't at all mean it lacks in gain, important note! You have to consider the component design circuitry in order to determine that. Remember there are solid state amps out there with 'zero' tubes and massive gain! So don't always count the tubes when considering the amount of gain, and what's actually usable and outside the 'fizz' offering. In fact, I'd say the xxx has more overall usable gain than the 5150 II I just purchased and biased. When you get past a pre gain of 7, on the 5150 ii, the fizz is loud and clear to my ear anyway. This is also a new head for me, and I'll continue to evaluate it before keeping/selling it.

Hey, the 5150 ii head sounds great as well, you can't go wrong, I'm just not sure it can do anything I can't mimic with the xxx at this point in my evaluation... And I'm fairly certain I can get a number of different tones with the xxx that I can't get with the 5150 ii head. So far I'd say the eq section is way better and more dynamic than the 5150, love the individual channel control of the xxx over the 5150 ii (far more dynamic), the clean channel sounds more versatile to me thus far, and the ultra channel of the xxx is just off the deep end with gain... However, the ultra channel can also be very nicely adjusted for a nasty rock/blues thing, so versatile as well... Just a monster of an amp, considering it's dimensional possibilities. It's not a popular amp at all, primarily because of the trucker girl front plate and 'hair/body' references in the eq section. I'll admit, pretty glam in that regard for sure. However, the amp performance itself...what a beauty or beast...really! Very versatile overall.

I'll keep ya'll posted on how the evaluation of my newly acquired 5150 ii goes, but so far I'm not sure I can't get all the tones I can get out of the xxx very easily. I know it doesn't have the same useable gain...that's clear to me. However I'm certain, at this point anyway, I can't get the same mid range and low end thump out of the 5150 ii. I'm also convinced at this point that the 5150 ii isn't as versatile as the xxx. Could change my opinion as I'm a rookie with this amp. If my opinion does change...I'll post accordingly. Also, they're both really top shelf amps at a fantastic value... So we're really talking about fine tune issues here... There are also other adds I'm currently in favor of the xxx for at this point, but I've typed quite a bit already...so if you'd like to hear about these let me know.

Hope this is yet another helpful opinion, and opinion it is... If I can offer any specific setting sound clips or examples for the group, please let me know.

Peace,

Ltd88

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM

It would be more helpful if the original thread wasn't 8 years old!! Lol! Hey, better late than never!

Sounds like JacksonLtd88 knows his stuff tho. Welcome to the forum!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Love these resurrected threads, reminds us of how long we've been posting here.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Reviews: 6

I was under the impression that the Peavey Penta was the amp that was supposed to become the Brahma.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I was under the impression that the Peavey Penta was the amp that was supposed to become the Brahma.
Here's a great underground link of the Lynch Mob after they'd gotten back together with Oni for the 3rd time, and when he was playing through xxx amps: oops I guess I can't post links as yet, sorry! I'll talk ya'll through it then, go to youtube. Once there, add this "/" after .com, followed by (watch?v=eNzvLaIoAGc), no ()'s though. While the recording isn't great, it gives you a pretty good idea of what the xxx tone sounds like anyway...enjoy!

Peace, Ltd88

Tags
joe satriani , preamp tube , ricky garcia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode