Yay! New Amp Day! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Yay! New Amp Day!

Picked it up about a week and a half ago for $400

Laney GH50L

Here's the rundown:
- 50 watts
- single channel
- gain boost (footswitchable)
- 2 x EL34's (6L6 bias switch)
- 4 x 12AX7's
- series, parallel and bypass effects loop (switch on back)
- Resonance switch
- High & Low inputs
- Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Gain, Master volume, Drive

First off, this thing is LOUD.
Louder than most amps I've played. Initial impression was that it was also very bright. I solved that by replacing the V1 Chinese made TAD preamp tube with a dark JJ ECC83S. Keeping the treble and presence relatively low help a lot too. I also boost the front end with a Fulltone OCD, which is very thick and smooth sounding for a boost.
I love the amp's straight forward design. Very simple, and very effective. The effects loop can be switched from series, to parallel to bypassed completely. This is a feature many high end amps don't offer. So that was a nice surprise. I bypass the loop for a simpler signal path and it seems to have better dynamics this way. The loop also has a level dial, which is great for choosing how wet or dry you want your setup to be with effects.
The tone is unique. It is very much classic british, but also very modern. Almost as if and Orange had sex with an Engl.
It's also very open sounding, and articulate. High gain picking stays clear and pronounced. The low end is tight and juicy all at the same time. The mids are very pleaseant, and high settings do not create ear fatigue at all.
I've found the amp sounds best through my V30 loaded Randall 2x12, which is a bit darker than my other two cabs.

So, I'm very happy with this amp. For the price these go for, they stomp a lot of the competetion. They do take some detailed tweaking, because they are very picky with guitar, pickup, speaker and tube choices. Play one if you get the chance!

Last edited by Van Noord; 07-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Re: Yay! New Amp Day!

No love for Laney? I thought there would be some since PG used this amp with his Ibanez's for years.
This thing is a Marshall eater. Basically very much like a JCM 800 but hotter. Sounds huge when boosted.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Calling it a Marshall eater is putting things lightly. I owned a GH50L for well over a year but had to sell my stack after a surgery so I'm down to a combo now that can easily be lugged around. Given the choice, I'd pick a GH/VH over a Marshall any day of the week.

Oh yeah, it's scary how loud the GH50L can be and I never got the chance to turn it up > 5.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Had my VH100 for years, still love it, glad you like yours! Interesting you found the GH50 bright, it's the only thing I'd complain about if pushed.
Jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 39

Im kinda torn on Paul's tone. Since I have a PGM301, I get Paul's tone almost instantly plugging into my Mesa (but more "mesa-y") very sharp and bright. Dunno much about the Laney stuff. I've always wanted more from my PGM/Mesa combo, but still cant crank out the heavies like I like it. Very very bright. Maybe I need a BBE or OCD boost? The PGM kills through the 5150 though!!!

Congrats on the amp though! The truth of transparent tube tone is always best!

Tags
gh50l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode