YJM Pedal, what overdrive for my amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
YJM Pedal, what overdrive for my amp?

Hi Folks, I'm pretty new here. Just signed up.. Anyway, I have a Ranger all Tube Peavey Amp. It's a combo with 2 12" speakers and partially closed back, etc,. It has two channels and it is a master volume amp.

I'm playing a Strat with a PAF pro in the bridge and like the tone, etc,. I may change it out to a Dimarzio Air Zone later, but what I'm wondering is if anyone has used the YJM on an amp that doesn't have a lot of gain? This amp has just the two channels and is LOUD (120 Watts loud), but I have it down to 60 by taking out two of the power tubes. That said, I like the sound cranked with the lead channel, but it's still not getting pushed enough in the preamp. I'm thinking highly of using the YJM, but we don't have a music store here locally to try it out on.. Anyone try the YJM and if so what do you think?

I'm wanting to just use the amp with some pedals in front of it, and not many, just wah, overdrive or distortion, and maybe a delay.. The amp has killer reverb, etc,..

Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Re: YJM Pedal, what overdrive for my amp?

the yjm is a good pedal and im sure it will push your amp into as much overdrive as you need ,, if your using it as a boost ,,, to be honest there are plenty other overdrives that will do the job as well mxr zakk , and also keeley might be a good one to look at , maybe the sd1 version ,,,, i have a fair few artists pedals including the yjm and also a grey original dod like yngwie's , thing is dont expect the pedal to make you sound like him , cos it only plays a small part in his tone,, signal chain ,,, i can get other overdrives to sound the same through an already overdriven amp ..... i think to much hype is put on these pedals ,,,, i cant really say anything , cos i own most of them ha ha ,,,, but anyway the yjm isnt a bad pedal and will do what you want ,,, only the lack of tone control may be a bad thing for you ,,,, also if ya can stretch to it a noise gate would improve things ....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Its a good pedal, you wont be dissapointed.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 59

I'd also throw in the digitech hardwire OD into the discussion and some of the stuff from Fulltone. They always seem to get good mentions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 PM

Reviews: 120

Yeah the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive is amazing. Look up my Jemsite review, or check out my blog.
http://lonephantom.wordpress.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM

I only have bad things to say about the YJM pedal, the worst being that it is noisy as hell! It *does* sound a bit yngwie-ish when you use it to boost an already distorted amp using a single coil guitar with the gain on max, but by then you'll have so much noise it's unbearable. It doesn't sound that good either. Get something else.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Reviews: 1

Have you looked at the Xotic BB Preamp. Its quite expensive but well worth it. There is some videos on youtube of Andy Timmons using it that show how good it sounds. I got myself one just after christmas and it lives up to the hype
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates View Post
Have you looked at the Xotic BB Preamp. Its quite expensive but well worth it. There is some videos on youtube of Andy Timmons using it that show how good it sounds. I got myself one just after christmas and it lives up to the hype
+1

The BB Preamp is an awesome pedal.

Tags
overdrive pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode