yngwie's sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
K7

yngwie's sound

hi everyone!
how does yngwie malmstenn get this fat sound out of singlecoils!? could someone tell me what equipment like amps or pedals he is useing? thanks very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 11:46 AM

you should check this site out for rig info: guitargeek.com

also, his strat specs are a big part of his sound also...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 01:15 PM

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 01:28 PM

http://www.rhinoamps.com/

He has a Rhino signature amp that may be woth checking out. There are some sound clips on the main page.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 02:08 PM

He uses overwound singlecoils. They are produced by Dimarzio, I belive they are called hs1. Not sure if I got that number right.

Todd
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrcollectr
He uses overwound singlecoils. They are produced by Dimarzio, I belive they are called hs1. Not sure if I got that number right.

Todd
HS-3, actually. DiMarzio doesn't make the HS-1 any more, IIRC.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 06:00 PM

HS-3 for bridge and neck, and the YJM model for the middle position.
These are stacked humbuckers, single-coil in appearance ONLY.
There's a nice bit hotter than your average single-coil, not as high an output as some of the other singles that DiMarzio makes. But Yngwie uses an overdrive pedal to saturate the preamp more when required...
=]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 04:18 AM

I thought they were all HS-3 or YJM pickups. oh well....I could be wrong.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 10:51 PM

The YJM is a vintage-staggered pole-piece version of the HS-3 for a more 'classic' appearance (this was apparently the original intention) - and I'm pretty sure that he doesn't use the middle pickup at all... that may have changed somewhere along the way.
But, HS-3s...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:19 PM

here's another piece I found about his setup - some interesting detail on this one:

"Guitar Rigs of the Gods, Part 7. The Neo-Classicist Yngwie Malmsteen is known for his expressive phrasing, wild vibrato, and near infinite sustain. Yngwie starts with his trademark scalloped fret Fender Stratocaster, loaded with DiMarzio HS-3 pickups as well as Dunlop 6000 frets. He then runs into a Bradshaw switching system allowing him to control his rack mounted effects, consisting of a Roland SDE-3, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, a Korg Digital Delay, a second Korg Digital Delay, and a Boss BF-3 Flanger. From there he runs to a couple of Marshall 50 watt heads, one running dry, the other running effects. The dry signal path is routed to a Marshall 16 ohm 4x12 cabinet, with the effect signal path routed to 2 Marshall 4x12 cabinets wired in series so the speaker output is equivalent. Yngwie is one of the few guitarists who uses the Sonic Maximizer, giving his sound a little more sizzle and screech at the top end. ------------------------------------------------------------"
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardell henderson
"The Neo-Classicist Yngwie Malmsteen is known for his expressive phrasing..."
where'd you see that, the Onion?

-Drew
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardell henderson
"The Neo-Classicist Yngwie Malmsteen is known for his expressive phrasing..."
where'd you see that, the Onion?

-Drew
Yngwie has the technique, talent, tone, phrasing, and even emotion. Too bad it doesn't come through in his playing though.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 11:57 AM

actually, I get an e-zine that I think originates out of the Harmony Central site or one of it's associates; it's hard to tell where stuff comes from these days!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:40 PM

Well, if "phrasing" is how you make your notes "say" something, Yngwie's only tells me one thing: "Gee I can play this harmonic minor scale/sweep arpeggio" fast!"

The rest I won't argue, but when I think of good phrasing, Yngwie never even would cross my mind.

-Drew
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:07 PM

hehe - I've heard some soulful licks out of the dude, but they are few & far in between his standard shre-aholic tendancies LOL.

Seriously though, the intent of my post was addressing his setup & how he gets his sound and nothing more; musical taste is a very subjective

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximiser , bbe sonic maximizer , fender strat , fender stratocaster , harmonic minor scale , overdrive pedal , sonic maximiser , sonic maximizer , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode