You will be interested in this. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

You will be interested in this.

Ok. I'm friends with guys in Fuel. They played locally last night. Which was the BEST show I've ever seen them do. Was freaking amazing. If you 'like' Fuel at all. You will want to catch their live show. They are one of those band that sound BETTER live than on the disk, and have a great show.
Anyway. The guy that used to mix them live is from around here, so I know him from seeing him at Fuel shows over the years. But now, he's not mixing Fuel anymore. He's mixing Dream Theater and the G3 tours. Great gig for that guy.

So I cornered him last night after the show and prodded him for information.

Here's what I found out. There was a debate as to which is better, 4x12 or 2x12. Turns out, 1x12 is the best. The reason is. The mic picks up the other speakers, which are at different distances from the mic. Which can cause frequency cancellation. If you have great tone coming form one speaker, then that's all you need, period.

JP has 6 4x12 on stage. only 2 are hot. the two outside bottom cabs, with one 57 on each. And he runs stereo. The rest are spares, and look cool. He also runs his volume at the LOWEST possible level and still gets a meaty tone. But he DOES NOT crank him amp live.

Myung, (sp) the bass player. Gets up in the morning, locks himself in a room and practices ALL day, everyday non stop for 8 hours until just before the show. With out exception.

I have stuff about EJ that will blow your mind. But I got to run. I'll post it later.

Darin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Re: You will be interested in this.

Im interested in the EJ stuff.
I hear that he does does his guitar set ups right before he goes on stage, but thats about it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

MORE! GIVE US MORE! hehehehe
Nice info on the neverending 4x12 vs 2x12 discussion
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

GIVE US THE DIRT !!!!!!!!!! :^)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Running volumes at the lowest possible level is actually pretty smart; that's what I'd do if I had his rig. Once you turn the volume up past about 70% (usually a 7, if your knob's got 10), the volume tends to get very distorted. By setting his volume at lower levels, Petrucci is getting the PUREST tone out of the amp he can get. And hey, the extra amps look pretty damn cool.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

Reviews: 26

cool.. nice info... but then what about the GAIN knob of the amp? i mean correct me if im wrong, to me i prefer volumes about 40% - 60% from my amp( to me this to find the crunch sound)..and for the clean gains, i would turn the knob to to get the cleanest.. to me around 50%( this is to find, the crisp sound)but then i agree that the lowest volume could get us the tone we want.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM

Reviews: 18

It all depends on the amp you're using. Different amps are going to react differently in terms of volume settings. Darin's friend is absolutely right, if you take an amp past a certain level, you're going to add more distortion (the bad kind) to your signal and it won't be clean. Joe does this on his amps as well. Although the some eq settings for the channels are at their max, his master doesn't go past 7 at times (from what I've seen in pics and vids).

Darin, give us the dirt on EJ!

Jimmy
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM

That's cool to hear from a pro. I have a small Ampeg Jet II (15wtts, 1x12) and let my rhythm player use it for rehearal last weekend with a DS-1 and TS-9. We miced it with a 57 and kept the volume at just over 2 and the tone was smokin'!!! Smooth and articulate with creamy tones. The Ds-1 and TS-9 complimented that amp so well it was sick.

I use a 1x12 '65 Deluxe Reverb with a Tone Bone Hot British for my heavier gain and a Tone Bone Classic for my boost on my leads and cleans. Pure heaven thru that Fender or my Mesa Mark III head when I want to bring my half stack (actually a 1/4 stack I use for bigger venues or outdoor shows). The Mesa sounds amazing but isn't necessary, I just like the feel of moving major air when I use it, the awesome tone it has and it looks damn cool!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

myung, uses boogie guitar amps for his bass. the beginning of As I Am he's using the mesa gain channel.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ok, EJ. he brings is 5 speakers cables. the guy I know and EJ try all 5 until EJ chooses the 'speaker cable' that sounds the best. now get this. then, he has him reverse the way it's plugged in. so with EJ across the stage. he switches the ends and EJ can hear which way itls plugged in. he properly identifies the direction of the speaker cable withou seeing it. and the mark the ends so its always plugged in thr right way.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:41 PM

Meh????
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 18

I think EJ was born with dog hearing, LOL

Jimmy
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I think EJ was born with dog hearing, LOL
or obsessive compulsive disorder...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM

come on now..... EJ Obsessive???

Last edited by jemplayer55; 07-13-2007 at 06:31 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 AM

Reviews: 1

EJ Live made a joke at a show I saw about the audience being the kind of people that cause albums take 5 years to make.

Interesting story.
Any more?

Tags
gain knob , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode