Your string guages are wrong! - Page 16 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Your string guages are wrong!

I'd give them a shot, they couldn't be any more expensive than the $30 I spent for my last set. But, do I have to complete an audition to prove my 'worthiness' to have properly gauged strings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshred777 View Post
I'd give them a shot, they couldn't be any more expensive than the $30 I spent for my last set. But, do I have to complete an audition to prove my 'worthiness' to have properly gauged strings?
No, lesser players are allowed to buy strings...
post #228 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 PM

I'd like what the guy has to say a whole lot more if he didnt confront you with:
1: A spoilt Childs attitude. I mean i appreciate that you have had to put a lot of work into your theory, but thats no need to go off and start calling people who have jumped on your gravy train usless and other childish names.
It detracts from your message.
If its ment to stand tall it will, you dont need to tell people that in order to get credit.
2: If he didnt use so many dam colours.
3: if he set out the String Gauge page in a more user friendly pattern, and cut down on the textual felatio about his idea.

Still good idea and worth investigating... just reminds me all to much of tr00ness discussions about metal.

But what do i know?
post #229 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemono View Post
Best thing is 10's in Eb. The tension is progressively lighter in a pretty even manner. Thicker sound. Longer lasting. Progressive tension from E - E.

For 9's you can do what I do and use a 11.5 for the b.

If you tune down and try and use the Zachary custom zoggs or whatever their called, the tension would not be as designed; it would be off. It's possible to figure out on Di'Addario strings' website.
How would it be off? You're decreasing the tension on all the strings uniformly. It wont be the same tension number, but it will still be ratio'd the way it was intended. And 10's in Eb is NOT progressively lighter. It will stay proportionate to the way it was in E regular, and zachary clearly said 10's in E were not right.
post #230 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool98769 View Post
How would it be off? You're decreasing the tension on all the strings uniformly. It wont be the same tension number, but it will still be ratio'd the way it was intended. And 10's in Eb is NOT progressively lighter. It will stay proportionate to the way it was in E regular, and zachary clearly said 10's in E were not right.
Yes, tuning down to Eb won't change the way the strings relate to each other. You are lowering the tension, but if it was off to begin with tuning down to Eb won't help any.
post #231 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Been using these strings for almost a year now. Still love them... I think this theory is sound. Anyone else try them yet?
Ok, was there REALLY any need to bump a one year old thread to flame the controversy a bit further? Does this Zachary character pay you to plug his stuff, or was whatever your previous religion just no longer cutting it for you?

Seriously, man, I'm getting a bit sick of seeing this guy's closed-minded "everyone but me is wrong!" drivel around here.
post #232 of 239 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't get paid to say anything. I just like playing on strings that are designed with the tension taken into consideration. It is an interesting discussion for those of us who care about how the guitar funtions as an instrument.
post #233 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, tuning down to Eb won't change the way the strings relate to each other. You are lowering the tension, but if it was off to begin with tuning down to Eb won't help any.
That may be true, and it seems like it would be true though I don't know because I can't actually measure the tension.

This chart didn't really make any sense to me:
http://www.daddariostrings.com/Resou...sion_chart.pdf

So I emailed D'Addario about getting strings for a guitar in Eb. I went back and forth with brian johnson trying to find the right strings and it said a 13 on the b would be too much tension, so I went with a 12, which is basically the stock set of 10-42.

I feel like I remember reading an email where he wrote the tension for each string for 10's in Eb, but can't find it.

So it seems like I'm wrong on this one. I'm still much happier with 10's in Eb. I just don't know what the tension is.
post #234 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemono View Post
For 9's you can do what I do and use a 11.5 for the b.
With 9's, you might be better off with a 12 for the B. Also a 44 for the E. This is as close as you'll get to a progressively tensioned set. 11.5 isn't quite heavy enough. In fact, even a 12 is still lower tension than the 9 (13.13 vs 13.11 pounds) but it feels fine.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/st...rts-73846.html
post #235 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
minded "everyone but me is wrong!" drivel around here.
It's not that bad, and the guy has a sense of humor about it. My only problem is he doesnt seem to understand that everyone but ME is wrong.

In conclusion one could start a thread that Everything Dino knows about El Cid is wrong.
post #236 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Banned

I can't believe this thread hasn't been closed yet! Such controversy.

I only use 2 springs on my OFR. As it should be. What does that do with string tension?
post #237 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

The strings would have to be at the same tension as with three springs in order to be at the same pitch. The two springs would just have to be adjusted tighter. I hear you get a more responsive feel from your trem, though.
post #238 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

2 springs can balance the tension. You get way more flutter, even from just picking a string hard. Some people may not like that. but it's very cool to me. I don't like a stiff trem at all. If you want stiff, stick with hard tail. Still, I have used Boomer 9s since highschool in the early 80s and still do. They just feel like home.
post #239 of 239 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
It is an interesting discussion for those of us who care about how the guitar funtions as an instrument.
I care loads about how the guitar functions as an instrument, enough in fact to know that there is no one RIGHT way for it to function. Thanks all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
It's not that bad, and the guy has a sense of humor about it. My only problem is he doesnt seem to understand that everyone but ME is wrong.

In conclusion one could start a thread that Everything Dino knows about El Cid is wrong.
Interesting idea. For example, i know you know someone who mixes a mean caucasian.

Tags
addario exl , addario strings , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ernie ball , fender strat , fender strats , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret board , fret buzz , fretboard radius , gauge strings , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guage strings , guitar body , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar tech , jeff buckley , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les pauls , low strings , lower strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , matic bridge , mexican strat , music store , neck relief , nut height , parker fly , prs guitar , prs guitars , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , solid state amp , solid state amps , steve vai , string bass , string gauges , string guage , string guages , string guitars , string tension , truss rod , tube amp , wound strings , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode