Your string guages are wrong! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Your string guages are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Except for the fact that Zachary Guitars are Canadian as far as I'm aware!
Duh!!! technically he is still American since he lives in the Continet that bears that name!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 PM

Re: Your string guages are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150 View Post
Can someone please summarise it for me in a couple of sentences
basically, agree with him or you're an idiot.
post #33 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I respect your ideas and some of it makes sense but this statement of yours is too out there, you have been brainwashed into believing that what he says is absolute but it's not! he has holes in his theories (and yes, that's all they are THEORIES!!!) you talk with such authority as if you would have played every guitar on the planet but I have news for you Charlie Brown YOU haven't nor have you played, seen or heard me play my guitars therefore how could you say that I have been doing something wrong...??? for starters I will tell you that I have never experienced any of the issues that he claims and I'm sure that a lot of other Jemsiters and pro musicians haven't either. So don't sell mere theories as facts so religiously. Your information gives us some food for thought and I appreciate it just don't try to shove it down our throats because of your convictions.
I understand where you are coming from. You don't have to try the idea if you don't want to. I just thought this stuff could be helpful for some who might interested in tweaking their setup. I was glad someone pointed it out to me. That is all.

I own two of his guitars, and his attention to detail is second to none. The strings are just one of many little things that makes his stuff so extraordinary. He is right to be as confident as he is in many ways. As a matter of fact, I own the guitar in the picture at the top of the strings page. The guy knows his stuff.

Zachary guitars loves to get input, if any of you guys have questions comments about his stuff or ideas send him an email.

Last edited by Dino; 12-13-2006 at 08:27 PM.
post #34 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

..... when we tune the 6th string down 2 whole steps from E to D, .......

So the genius that I am, here is what I did to save your ass.
I think if the guy was such a genious he'd realize that tuning down from E to D was only 1 whole step ;o}
post #35 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:56 PM

That was too long and quite possibly the most annoying thing I ever tried to read. It was almost as bad as a Stephen King novel.
post #36 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 PM

What really bugs me is how the site describes their strings in tension but not gauge, which would help me pick, mix and match individual string gauges.

Having said that though, I quite like my 9-46s.
post #37 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
That was too long and quite possibly the most annoying thing I ever tried to read. It was almost as bad as a Stephen King novel.
Hey, you don't have to like the string idea, but leave the King out of it...
post #38 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think if the guy was such a genious he'd realize that tuning down from E to D was only 1 whole step ;o}
Nice catch, Rich.
post #39 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
What really bugs me is how the site describes their strings in tension but not gauge, which would help me pick, mix and match individual string gauges.

Having said that though, I quite like my 9-46s.
It gives you the guages I thought? Write him and ask if you are really interested.
post #40 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 PM

it looks like all he did was change the B string and the low E string according to the tension graph of his 10's.

I think the only people who are going to benefit this are people like Dino who says their high E feels tight and their high B feels like a rubber band. It's not going to make the whole guitar any easier to play it's actually only going to make 2 strings HARDER to play to make the guitar feel more even.

A great idea, but it's just gunna be another "passive or active pickups?" argument where even though actives have a greater frequency range people say they sound sterile. I'd like to try a set and see if it works... if only I cared enough to switch strings and set my guitar up for this equal tension. :P
post #41 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
No??? ...What do you mean NO? Are you nuts? For those who said no, you are idiots and should be on the PRS site looking at grossly quilted tops and drooling over them. That's where you belong, so stay there..

For those of you who do have a brain and said YES, you must agree that every string should be the same tension. Isn't this totally logical? What idiot would not realize this and want this? What string manufacturer would not offer this? For you to be able get the best feel from your strings and for you to be able to have the most balanced tone, you must have them all equal tension. Right ???

Well, ................Almost !
Umm, yeah...err I always knew my strings were hindering my playing....
post #42 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:00 AM

If anyone is interesed, here is a spreadsheet I created for calculating string tension on a standard tuned guitar, with up to seven strings, using plain steel, nickelplated steel round wound or stainless steel round wound D'Addario strings.
post #43 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Wow, Let's just slam down this theory without even trying it out for ourselves.

Instead of trying something new let's just try to shut him up by cutting up his theory.

It appears that the guitar RULES have been etched in stone a long time ago:
1. We must all use standard guage string sets that some guitar company decided were best for us and we'll like them.
2. Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Strats will be the only guitars ever to be seen on TV.
3. Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix will be featured on every guitar magazine cover at least 6 times a year.
4. etc etc
post #44 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:11 PM

& lets not forget

5. Shut up and play yer guitar.
6.Turn it up.
post #45 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs down Re: Your string guages are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
Wow, Let's just slam down this theory without even trying it out for ourselves.

Instead of trying something new let's just try to shut him up by cutting up his theory.

It appears that the guitar RULES have been etched in stone a long time ago:
1. We must all use standard guage string sets that some guitar company decided were best for us and we'll like them.
2. Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Strats will be the only guitars ever to be seen on TV.
3. Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix will be featured on every guitar magazine cover at least 6 times a year.
4. etc etc

Tags
addario exl , addario strings , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ernie ball , fender strat , fender strats , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret board , fret buzz , fretboard radius , gauge strings , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guage strings , guitar body , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar tech , jeff buckley , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les pauls , low strings , lower strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , matic bridge , mexican strat , music store , neck relief , nut height , parker fly , prs guitar , prs guitars , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , solid state amp , solid state amps , steve vai , string bass , string gauges , string guage , string guages , string guitars , string tension , truss rod , tube amp , wound strings , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode