Your string guages are wrong! - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Re: Your string guages are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez2005 View Post
& lets not forget

5. Shut up and play yer guitar.
6.Turn it up.
Yeah! Just be quiet and a good consumer! The big manufacturers will tell you what you need.

Well, I don't want to be a wuss about it, but I have to admit that I am a little dissapointed. I thought I was sharing somthing cool with you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Yeah! Just be quiet and a good consumer! The big manufacturers will tell you what you need.

Well, I don't want to be a wuss about it, but I have to admit that I am a little dissapointed. I thought I was sharing somthing cool with you guys.
You are. But change is not something taken lightly upon in the world of guitars... As a sevenstringer, I know.
post #48 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:55 PM

i play a custom gauge myself .

10-13-17-36-46-56

i had a whole bunch of strings and 10-52s were too slack on my razorback (24.75 scale) so i went bigger on the tops and kept the 10 gauge bottoms .

it plays like i want it and i get the tone i want i am happy . dont get what the big deal is .
post #49 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjammin View Post
If anyone is interesed, here is a spreadsheet I created for calculating string tension on a standard tuned guitar, with up to seven strings, using plain steel, nickelplated steel round wound or stainless steel round wound D'Addario strings.
For some reason that link isn't working.
post #50 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:58 PM

Bah. I hated this conversation over at www.sevenstring.org.

Wanna hear something funny?

1.) This Optimum String Guage idea is pure BS.
2.) I still use something pretty close to what he considers optimum, a set of 10-48's with a .68 low B, and I'm contemplating stepping up to a 10-52 with a .68 B. I've been stringing this way for years.

Here's the thing, thje whole premise of OSG is that there IS a right and a wrong way to string your guitar. That's utter crap. You know why I use such a heavy B string? Because the way I pick I always seem to hit the low B quite a bit harder than the high E. For ME, and for the way that I PERSONALLY play, I can't get away with a .52 because every time I hit the thing you can hear it pull sharp and then settle back into tune (as a vibrating string is technically being stretched by the amplitude of the vibration - think trig - and thus goes slightly sharp, the wider the vibration the further sharp), sometimes as much as a quarter step. It just doesn't work for me, due to the way I pick.

I don't understand how someone can play a .52 or a .54 low B in tune under a .09 (as tension is in many ways relative), but that's just because of the way I hit the strings. For someone with a lighter attack on the low strings, this makes perfect sense.

Anyway, it's crap because it's not 'optimum,' just different. Could it work better for you? Quite possibly, and it's certainly worth a try upping your bass guages a bit. Will it make you a "better" guitarist, magically? Of course not. It may make you more comfortable while you play, however, and for that reason alone it's worth experimenting.

If you play 9-42's or for us seven stringers 9-52 or 54's simply because that's what you've always done, then of course it stands to reason that spending a few weeks/months experimenting with different sets will be beneficial for you. But there's no RIGHT way, just what's right for you.

The dude from Zachary Guitars is certainly an interesting guy, and he has several interesting ideas. But "moderation" has never been his strong point - he's a total extremist, and there's no middle ground, and this is a classic example of this.
post #51 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM

I've been using hybrid sets since I halfway restrung a guitar with 9s with a set of 10s. I like the heavier strings for E,A,D.

You can very much alter the feel of your guitar by using different guages. In moments of desperation I have substituted totally inappropriate strings. Sometimes the result is just too weird.

This theory is goofy, but certainly it is worth some effort to find which strings are most comfortable for you. I'm content with the hybrid 10/9 packs. I wish I could find D'Addario's with even heavier E,A,D strings. When I got my 7 string I was given a .52 low B and it absolutely sucks. I have to be very careful not to play it sharp. Now to get my ass to the guitar store for a heavier string...
post #52 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Hybrids are a bunch of horse**** as well. They put more tension exactly where you do NOT need it - namely on the A-string. That makes the already tightest string in the set even more tighter. They do solve the flabby bass-string, however.
post #53 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 PM

Wow. Just wow. I use 9-42's. I like them. I am used to them, and they feel fine. While you are sitting there analyzing (note the 'anal' in the beginning of that word) the tension of your strings, I am playing my guitar which feels fine. String choice is whatever feels comfortable to you, I have tried many guages and found what I like. That's it. That's the end. I don't see this as a quantum leap in how we view and play the guitar, rather I see it more as pole-vaulting over a mouse-turd.
post #54 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 PM

yeh try convincing somebody with a floyd rose (nightmare! haha)
post #55 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:11 PM

What a load of crap.

The bottoms are looser because being thicker, it takes more force to pick them.

I cant believe youre letting a bassist tell you how to setup your guitar.
post #56 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM

Your string guages are wrong!????

No they not! Who are you? to tell me they are wrong? That's a pretty bold statement.

_|_

:P
post #57 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
_|_
+1
post #58 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

I brought some of your questions (and outright attacks) to the attention of Alex over at Zachary guitars. This is his simple response:

I agree that there is no right or wrong way to string a guitar if you don't care about a balanced feel.
But if you want a balanced feel where every string feels even, then the rules of physics must be applied and the two steps of Optimization must by applied.
Everything must be balanced to the first string.

There is no rule that one has to play a balanced (optimized) set. They can play any string they want I suppose. They can make one string really tight and the next super loose, they can make the high E tight and the low E can be very loose and not handle the pitch. I suppose one can do that. It sure is awful when a string is under-tensioned and cannot handle the pitch. It always sounds awful.
"There is no right or wrong way to string a guitar". Good idea, lets try that on a piano and see what happens.
Alex
post #59 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Your string guages are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
Wow. Just wow. I use 9-42's. I like them. I am used to them, and they feel fine. While you are sitting there analyzing (note the 'anal' in the beginning of that word) the tension of your strings, I am playing my guitar which feels fine. String choice is whatever feels comfortable to you, I have tried many guages and found what I like. That's it. That's the end. I don't see this as a quantum leap in how we view and play the guitar, rather I see it more as pole-vaulting over a mouse-turd.
I thought the 9-42's were fine also until I restrung my 540P Power with a set of the ZOG 9's. The improvement is there and you will notice it right away if you are in tune with your instrument. Even my friend Dave noticed it right away when he picked up it up.

"Dude. what did you do to this guitar?"
"I changed the strings"
"No, I mean it is different"
"Really?"
"Yeah, it plays better. Like a better guitar."

And he didn't even know what it was until I explained it to him.

"Really? That's it?"
"Yep. That is all I did."

post #60 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
It sure is awful when a string is under-tensioned and cannot handle the pitch. It always sounds awful.
"There is no right or wrong way to string a guitar". Good idea, lets try that on a piano and see what happens.
Alex
except a guitar isn't trying to be a piano in any way shape or form. Feel, tone or otherwise.

I also don't hear Satriani's tuning stability or intonation ever sounding awful and he likes his guitars to feel even.

next time he wants to make an argument he should stop trying to compare instruments that have nothing to do with each other.

Tags
addario exl , addario strings , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ernie ball , fender strat , fender strats , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret board , fret buzz , fretboard radius , gauge strings , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guage strings , guitar body , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar tech , jeff buckley , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les pauls , low strings , lower strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , matic bridge , mexican strat , music store , neck relief , nut height , parker fly , prs guitar , prs guitars , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , solid state amp , solid state amps , steve vai , string bass , string gauges , string guage , string guages , string guitars , string tension , truss rod , tube amp , wound strings , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode