Your string guages are wrong! - Page 7 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Re: Your string guages are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Yeah, if it's a horrible conspiracy, why not just TELL us the gauges to stop the conspiracy in it's tracks? There may be something to this tension thing, I'll give it a whirl but I won't buy from this dolt:

Does a guy who in his argument needs to say that Zakk and Yngwie are "ugly MFs" really have any credibility? Especially after he uses Yngwie to reinforce his position and then says Yngwie isn't that smart?

He's "not part of the guitar industry" but he builds and sells (bizarro ugly) guitars? (has anyone on here played one? - they look like shiite)

He badmouths people drooling over PRS guitars but he OWNS one.

In his rant he says that the brand of string makes no difference but on his string package it says, "ZOG strings are the best quality you will find, custom-made to Zachary specifications by the best and biggest manufacturer in the USA. However, they are not expensive or hyped in any way." Which statement is the true one?? I'm an idiot, I can't discern.

Also note that he sells the best guitar stand in the world. Why does he need to put his name on a guitar stand that is made by Konig & Meyer? I've seen those stands, they do nothing for me. And he bashes ALL Asian countries in the meantime as if they can't make anything of quality. I'm sure he's no hypocrite though, I'm sure all his electronics (microwave, car stereo, etc. etc.) are American or German made.

This dope makes Ed Roman look moderate. In fact, I'd like to see these two get together and just call each other idiots and argue over who's guitar is the best in the world.

Anyone who is fascinated by abnormal psychology should visit his site; it's a treasure trove.

And if I'm an idiot, at least I can sleep safe at night knowing I'm in better company with the greatest guitarists in the world and of all time, instead of with this horribly bitter and hateful sad little man.
First of all, I am sure Alex (from Zachary guitars) would galdly tell you what guages he uses if you wrote him an email and asked, or god forbid, called him. I myself (at 2:30 in the morning) didn't remember that information, or have it writtin down.

I myself own two Zachary guitars, and they are incredible hand made instruments.

Zakk and Yngwie are not the best looking guys in the world.

Alex used to own a PRS, and was dissapointed with what he got for the outragious price, he started making his own guitars. He picks on them a little bit. So what? His site site is humorous and informative. He does it to weed out people who are not smart enough to see past the tongue in cheek humor.

Ed Roman is a moderate. He believes much of the same stuff, but since he is trying to sell you something he tones it down a bit. Actually, Alex is quoted sever times on Ed Romans website.

90% of todays guitar player's have learned everything they know from the advertisements in a guitar magazine. Why are we so programmed to only believe something is true if it is presented in a full color two page spread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
90% of todays guitar player's have learned everything they know from the advertisements in a guitar magazine.
I disagree.

In any case, Zacharys strings may or may not be 'better' than a regular set, but the condescending, poorly written, sensationalist & insulting way that he advertises them is the reason I have no intention of finding out.
post #93 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Dee

Alex is actually a good guy, contrary to what some might think. If you've dealt with him via email or phone you will know. And I would love to own a Zachary guitar. Those who play them swear by them.
post #94 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
His site site is humorous and informative. He does it to weed out people who are not smart enough to see past the tongue in cheek humor.
It's neither humorous nor informative. How many cults are you in? You just echo back the gibberish he is spouting. Yeah, if you can't see that I'm belittling people for their own good, you are not "smart". And, given your proclivity for horrific spelling and grammar, your credibility isn't too good to start with. And using a guy with a Mexican strat with a broken Kahler as a standard for discerning quality or tone on a guitar isn't too savvy either. Let me break it down for you Dino, it's called elitism and it's where people have a psychological need to feel or think of themselves as better or smarter than others. And the idea that you were so easily compromised is scary. (<--elitism) Because from what I see in the posts, people here aren't seeing the humor or informative value. So I guess we're not "smart enough". And if it is "tongue in cheek" why did HIS spiritual advisor tell him he "tends to offend people and it's not right"? He has a spiritual advisor but doesn't listen to him? Alllllrighty then!

Quote:
Ed Roman is a moderate. He believes much of the same stuff, but since he is trying to sell you something he tones it down a bit. Actually, Alex is quoted sever times on Ed Romans website.
And Alex is *not* trying to sell us something? Really?!? He's got the best pedal, amp, guitar, stand, strings, and "secret" nut doesn't he? Alex is quoted on Ed's site? Why didn't you say so! That's sure to win people over on here, I know Glen is a BIG fan of Ed's. (NOT!)

Quote:
90% of todays guitar player's have learned everything they know from the advertisements in a guitar magazine. Why are we so programmed to only believe something is true if it is presented in a full color two page spread?
90% huh? Boy, I just love when people who don't have actual facts just make something up to try make their point sound factual. State your sources because I would LOVE to hear them. Exactly who is tracking that data? Are you telling me that some polling company has called guitarists and asked them if they buy based on what they *learned* from guitar advertisements? And I don't read, buy or subscribe to any guitar magazines, so am I part of the other 10% in your fabricated statistic? And is that 10% more, or less ignorant than the 90%?

In closing, since Alex is in Canada, I would like to say to him and to you in the words of Bob and Doug McKenzie, "take off you hosers"! I'm not drinking your strange looking kool-aid.
post #95 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Alex is actually a good guy, contrary to what some might think. If you've dealt with him via email or phone you will know. And I would love to own a Zachary guitar. Those who play them swear by them.
I beg to differ:

1) a "good guy" doesn't have to insult people. Period. I know, because I occasionally insult people and am a [email protected]
2) a "good guy" doesn't say, "The thick glossy paint and inlays are there to appeal to the juvenile minds of immature baby boomers". Hear that Jem lovers? You are juvenile minded immature baby boomers.
3) a "good guy" doesn't put a picture of his wife on his website with her panties showing. That's just leaves me dumbfounded.

You would love to own a Zachary guitar without trying one because those who play them swear by them? Sounds like you might be part of Dino's fabricated 90% club.

Thanks for the info on the gauges though. I went to Guitar Center today and bought two sets of EB Super Slinky and two sets of EB Not Even Slinky so I could make two sets to try the gauges you mentioned: 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, and 44 and strung up my RGA121 with them. The B (12) is a little tighter but the 44 is a noticably more tight than the 42 was. Hardly anything stellar though. I'll probably go back to being an "idiot" and just using the improper tension conspiracy-laden standard string gauges...sigh.
post #96 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I beg to differ:

1) a "good guy" doesn't have to insult people. Period. I know, because I occasionally insult people and am a [email protected]
2) a "good guy" doesn't say, "The thick glossy paint and inlays are there to appeal to the juvenile minds of immature baby boomers". Hear that Jem lovers? You are juvenile minded immature baby boomers.
3) a "good guy" doesn't put a picture of his wife on his website with her panties showing. That's just leaves me dumbfounded.

You would love to own a Zachary guitar without trying one because those who play them swear by them? Sounds like you might be part of Dino's fabricated 90% club.

Thanks for the info on the gauges though. I went to Guitar Center today and bought two sets of EB Super Slinky and two sets of EB Not Even Slinky so I could make two sets to try the gauges you mentioned: 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, and 44 and strung up my RGA121 with them. The B (12) is a little tighter but the 44 is a noticably more tight than the 42 was. Hardly anything stellar though. I'll probably go back to being an "idiot" and just using the improper tension conspiracy-laden standard string gauges...sigh.
I applaud you for being able to work through the pain and actually trying it.

Here is some interesting feedback from someone who has tried the strings. I hope nobody gets upset at me for reproducing it:

Alex,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm REALLY enjoying the strings...what many may not get from your description of the strings is (and this is my opinion) that it is not just the optimized tension for the strings themselves that makes such a difference. The instrument itself "works" better with even/graduated tension. That's the real kicker here - not only do the strings "feel" better...the instrument actually plays/resonates better.

Just a thought,
Jay
post #97 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I applaud you for being able to work through the pain and actually trying it.

Here is some interesting feedback from someone who has tried the strings. I hope nobody gets upset at me for reproducing it:

Alex,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm REALLY enjoying the strings...what many may not get from your description of the strings is (and this is my opinion) that it is not just the optimized tension for the strings themselves that makes such a difference. The instrument itself "works" better with even/graduated tension. That's the real kicker here - not only do the strings "feel" better...the instrument actually plays/resonates better.

Just a thought,
Jay
The only conclusion I can make of you is that you have a hand in this company, either that or youre just a "screw the conformatist corporations" conspiricy junkie. Why dont you stop complaining and pick up your friggin guitar.
post #98 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Dee

I agree that the balanced strings really do make quite a nice difference. I have no hand in the company, btw. But I honestly felt there was an improvement in tone and feel. Fast picking from string to string definitely felt better. It did take a day or two to get used to it, but I suggest that people at least try it for themselves. No need to purchase ZOG sets either, just put your own set together and try it out. It worked great for me and I was pleasantly surprised. Other people who tried my guitar also mentioned that it felt better.

Make of it what you will. I care not for the politics, I don't care what people think of Alex, there's no sense in arguing about him, but go ahead and try a balanced set of strings and let us know what you think.
post #99 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 PM

I dont care whether I end up trying them and liking them or not, thats not the point, its all this "maybe youre being told what to think and youre just a sheep" BS.

Im not pointing the finger at you Dee, you just saying that you like them and I think youre just giving an honest review.

I hate it when people have this "I'll buy this and ill be able to play better" thing, that topic has allready been killed but what is happening here is that certain people are ctritisizing us for not having that attitude.

Balanced strings MAY be easier for some people to use, they MAY be more pleasing to some peoples ears, and yes if the very first pack of strings invented were balanced, we'd be having the exact same conversation but visa versa.
post #100 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Dee

Points taken.
post #101 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
You are. But change is not something taken lightly upon in the world of guitars... As a sevenstringer, I know.

I'd have to say that overall, I'd consider guitarists more adapting of new ideas.
Look at all the stuff that comes out every year to change, modify or somehow manipulate audio, we snatch it up in a heartbeat, in most cases. I actually feel like a sheep because I want to try these strings out and try and discern a difference in the tonal quality.

The guy, I think, if not understood, could come off as an @$$, but I think he's just highly sarcastic. It's hard to pick that up in text only without tone of voice to make it more apparent.

The thing I question is that each string has its own frequency and excursion based on gauge and tension, overall I'm so used to the way my hybrids feel, I wonder if that would truly have much bearing on how my sound is perceived. I guess an A/B comparion is the only real way, and 5 bucks won't break the bank, it's only $1.50 more than I normally pay for strings, so, why not?

I'll gladly post some before and after clips.

Bamm
post #102 of 239 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Tell us how it goes Bamm, I want to hear a second opinion on this (tonewise and feelwise)
post #103 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:56 AM

FYI: If you want to try this, I found that DR makes a set called "half-tite" that has the "right" gauges (9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44) and you can buy them from regular music stores but they are more expensive than the standard "9" sets from EB or DAddario.
post #104 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Dee

Quote:
FYI: If you want to try this, I found that DR makes a set called "half-tite" that has the "right" gauges (9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44) and you can buy them from regular music stores but they are more expensive than the standard "9" sets from EB or DAddario.
Thanks for that info. I have been searching for the right set and I came to the conclusion they didn't exist. Putting a custom set of D'Addario's together from singles is also more expensive than buying EXL120's, so this is good news (and I won't need to special order the strings from the USA). Cheers.

EDIT: No wait, the Half-Tite's are not the guages you specified, they are 009.5-012-016-024-034-044. No good. The top E is much too heavy, as is the A string.

Oh well.
post #105 of 239 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Thanks for that info. I have been searching for the right set and I came to the conclusion they didn't exist. Putting a custom set of D'Addario's together from singles is also more expensive than buying EXL120's, so this is good news (and I won't need to special order the strings from the USA). Cheers.

EDIT: No wait, the Half-Tite's are not the guages you specified, they are 009.5-012-016-024-034-044. No good. The top E is much too heavy, as is the A string.

Oh well.
You're right. My bad. The site I saw had the gauges listed wrong.

Tags
addario exl , addario strings , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ernie ball , fender strat , fender strats , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret board , fret buzz , fretboard radius , gauge strings , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guage strings , guitar body , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar tech , jeff buckley , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les pauls , low strings , lower strings , maple fret , maple fretboard , matic bridge , mexican strat , music store , neck relief , nut height , parker fly , prs guitar , prs guitars , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , solid state amp , solid state amps , steve vai , string bass , string gauges , string guage , string guages , string guitars , string tension , truss rod , tube amp , wound strings , yngwie malmsteen , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode