Your thoughts on the Behringer V-Amp PRO? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Your thoughts on the Behringer V-Amp PRO?

Has anyone actually PLAYED the rackmounted Behringer V-Amp Pro? I've used the little desktop version, but not the rackmounted version.
How is it for live use?
What about direct recording?

Please share any info on your experiences. I've been looking at the PODxt & V-Amp Pro for a while now. From the information I've seen so far & the HUGE price difference, the V-amp Pro is looking way more appealing. It's got a lot of the same features & for a 1/3 of the PODxt's asking price. Plus, the amp models in the V-Amp Pro seem more what I'm after vs. the models in the PODxt. I just wanna hear your experiences. Anyway, HELP ME OUT, please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM

Behringer

I have not had any experience with one but when I was looking at getting one I discovered that there is a 1 second delay between patch changes which would make live playing quite difficult, a drop off in sound, as I said I have not played one personally and there are a lot of people that are anti Behringer and maybe just splashing dirt?

But there is a site out there with sound clips and it does sound good.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:08 PM

I noodled around with one at the store and wasn't impressed. For strictly recording it would be OK if you just need something to get lots of different amp sounds that are about 80% OK but probably sound fine on tape.

I hated the way it "felt" ie. it had the typical solid state feel and I wasn't really wild about any of the preset sounds. The effects seemed to be way over the top but that could have been something else in the rack that I wasn't aware of. I think there was an Alesis delay unit that was throwing something into the mix. I was playing this thing into a Mixer and a set of PA speakers via the onboard emulator.

Back to the feel...

I have a rack mounted Tube preamp/poweramp rig and it plays like a regular amp. I really don't like the feel of the amp modelers I've tried. They lack something (Soul I think...) and the sound isn't quite right. I'd rather buy a nice head like the new Genz Benz Diablo or a Mesa Boogie and learn to dial it in. I have an effects processor that I don't use much of. Just a bit of delay or reverb here and there, maybe some chorus or a flanger sometimes.

I think the thing would be impossible to use effectively live, but that's just me. If you want to go the modeling route, stick to the line6 stuff, they do it best. Or buy a nice head and run an effects processor in the loop.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:59 PM

I played one in the store as well, I didn't have a footswitch to actually determine if the patches changed well or not. As for the sound, I didn't spend that much time with it, but I managed to dial in some nice Hi-Gain rhythm sounds. It took me much longer to get some nice blues or delayed fusion sounds out of it. Keep in mind though that I was playing directly into the headphones and did not have that much time to mess around with the settings...

Tags
amp modeler , genz benz , mesa boogie , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode