Zero trem series vs edge series - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Zero trem series vs edge series

Hey guys,

I tried to search but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here goes....

After my last thread, I feel I have a basic understanding of the various trems Ibanez offers.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people, including the guy who runs ibanezrules, seem to think that the Edge and Lo Pro Edge is superior to the Zero and Zero-II trems. What is the exact reason?

Is it just a personal feel thing? Do the Edge and Lo Pro stay in tune better and take extreme abuse better? Is it just cosmetics/build quality? Is the only real difference that Zero has additional features that most find unnecessary and/or not very good, so why mess with the original?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Zero trem series vs edge series

Rich is for sure an expert and has oodles more technical knowledge than I will ever have but for me I like the Edge Zero trem the best…just feels better to me…and I have 5 MIJ Ibbies including three MIJ models with OE trems and I like the stability that the EZ brings to my RG2550z and RG2570mz with EZ trems…I can actually bend strings and other don't go wonky flat on me with the EZ trem…but I think it's all personal preference
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Vendor

The EZ has the feel of a LP when floating, stiffer with the ZPS but if you like that bend a string and the others stay relatively in tune, it' s a good feature, for you. The arm torque adjustment is also better, but has far inferior build quality, and many of us still prefer the feel of the original Edge.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The EZ has the feel of a LP when floating, stiffer with the ZPS but if you like that bend a string and the others stay relatively in tune, it' s a good feature, for you. The arm torque adjustment is also better, but has far inferior build quality, and many of us still prefer the feel of the original Edge.
Thanks Rich, would you say the EZ can take the same amount of whammy abuse as the LP or Edge and still stay in tune?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Vendor

They all have excellent tuning return.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 AM

Reviews: 10

what is it about the EZ that is far inferior? I'm not a major bar abuser…I use it more for wide vibrato rather than crazy diving and pulling up so I haven't had any problems (touch wood) with any of my Ibanez trems…but I am curious what make the EZ build inferior?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 AM
Vendor

It's a combination. The quality of the metal finishing and plating is not even close to Japanese. The steel saddle lock down plate was dropped so the saddles lock down into the pot metal base only. Many have stripped for little to no reason. The fine tuners have little burl, and because of the pincher design of the saddle are tough to turn. That pincher design is how they got around a patent issue but I'm not a big fan, and on the EZ2's many of the forked tail are poorly cast and actually pinch the fine tuner making them extremely stiff. The intonation screw is tough to turn and many times pops up off it's seat when using it, much less the inch longer rout on the front of the guitar so it can be used that doesn't look anywhere near as good as an Edge/LoPro rout. The string lock screws oval fast, I sell a lot of those, and they just jacked the price to $4 each. The T lock blocks flip out and get lost easy, I sell a lot of those too, $7. The bushing is now $7, but it does last. The ZPS is good for amateurs because it makes tuning easier, but makes playing stiffer also.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a combination. The quality of the metal finishing and plating is not even close to Japanese. The steel saddle lock down plate was dropped so the saddles lock down into the pot metal base only. Many have stripped for little to no reason. The fine tuners have little burl, and because of the pincher design of the saddle are tough to turn. That pincher design is how they got around a patent issue but I'm not a big fan, and on the EZ2's many of the forked tail are poorly cast and actually pinch the fine tuner making them extremely stiff. The intonation screw is tough to turn and many times pops up off it's seat when using it, much less the inch longer rout on the front of the guitar so it can be used that doesn't look anywhere near as good as an Edge/LoPro rout. The string lock screws oval fast, I sell a lot of those, and they just jacked the price to $4 each. The T lock blocks flip out and get lost easy, I sell a lot of those too, $7. The bushing is now $7, but it does last. The ZPS is good for amateurs because it makes tuning easier, but makes playing stiffer also.
Can the bridge still "flutter" and all that jazz, just feels stiffer? I ask because my current guitar (a BC Rich Marc Rizzo Stealth 7) has an OFR 7, and the guys at the shop where I got it set up told me because it's a 7 string 4 springs were required for proper setup, and with 4 attached the bar is too stiff to flutter.

After being unable to retune it a few months later, I took my guitar to a different store and the guy who did it there said the first setup was not done properly. I never asked about the springs and I assume he kept them either because they were needed or assumed I wanted 4 since 4 were already installed....

Just curious since OFR are known to have maybe the best stability, so if I need enough springs to prevent flutter, Idk how an Edge Zero-II wouldn't...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 AM
Vendor

With the ZPS in there is no flutter. With is removed it will flutter like a Lo Pro.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 AM

In my experience the trem only "needs" an additional spring if you have the spring claw screwed all the way in and the trem base plate still isn't level with the body.

I'd also guess that the amount of flutter goes down as you move to heavier strings, because they will have more string tension and therefore require more spring tension to balance. Most 7-string sets I see are 10-56 whereas Ibanez generally puts 9-46 strings on their 6-strings. You should be able to loosen up your OFR7 by switching to a 9-52 string set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode