Zoom G2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Zoom G2

Hi everybody!

I just bought myself a Zoom G2. Actually I wanted to buy a Behringer V-Amp 2, but at the local music store I saw that Zoom G2, tried and compared it to the V-Amp and some other alternatives and finally bought it. I know, it is not a "sound-miracle", but for the money it is okay. I was searching some thing for practicing in my little appartement. My Triaxis and 2:90 are probably not supposed to be played in such a little room ;-)
So I really can recommend that little box!

However, I have a little problem with it. I hope someone can help me, as the Zoom G2 is quite new. That problem concerns the second poti from the left. It sometimes "jumps" or misses some numbers. For example, for raising gain, I turn the knob counterclockwise and the numbers in the display should go 1...2...3...4...5...6... and so on. But sometimes it jumps and it goes like this: 1...3...6...7... Do you know what I mean? This is certainly not a big issue, but Iīd like to know if this as "normal"? Maybe someone who also has the G2 can check that on his one? Actually i donīt want to sit in my car, drive about 100 miles, bring the G2 back to the shop because of such a little issue and than being told that this is normal. So maybe someone could tell me if he has that same little problem ;-)
Thanks in advance!

Christoph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Re: Zoom G2

I just switched on mine to understand your problem better. Gain ranges from 0 to 100 in increments of 2, i.e. 42,44,46 etc, so I don't understand your problem. I even tried different amps and it's the same deal.

BTW, the Zoom G2 blows Behringer and Line6 units out of the water.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Hello Beyblade!

You are right, gain ranges from 100 in increments of 2. I just wanted to make an example, but my example does not fit for tweaking gain. Okay, but lets stay at gain: on my G2, when I turn that know that is called "gain" (though it has many different functions) sometimes jumps like this: 42...44...48...50...52...56... Do know what I mean now?
It really does not happen that often. I believe it happens more often when the range is bigger. Just like when tweaking gain. As you said, the range is 0-100. At some other functions, the know only has a range from 1-10.
Btw, in the meantime I imagine myself that the knob on the right shows the same issue. So maybe it is normal. As I said, this is not a big issue as you donīt tweak that know a 100 times a day once you have found and safed the desired sounds. Maybe I will call the distributor on Monday and ask them about that thing...
Oh, and what I forgot to say: those jumps occur when you turn it slowly! Maybe the best way to try is with drum machine. When it is turned on, you can select the different rhythms with that knob. Maybe because the G2 has to "work" quite a lot when using the drum machine... Itīs quite hard to explain my problem as my English is not that good, but I hope it can be understood...

And beyblade, I agree with you when it comes to comparing the G2 to other devices in that price-region. Besides the V-Amp I also tried such a little box from Korg and another one, but canīt remember correlctly. IMO, the G2 sound much better and much cleaner than the other devices I have tested. And the offered Effects are impressive for such a price! In the beginning I found it a bit hard to do all those different setting as there are only a few knobs with many different functions. So reading the manual is good at some points. And: the G2 has a little drum computer, a metronome and a tuner in it. All you need for practice ;-)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 PM

Whenever you turn any knob on the G2, it gently 'clicks' into the next postion. The knobs don't freely spin like they do on a guitar. With the gain knob, each 'click' advances the gain level up or down by 2. If you are getting a jump of 4, I say there is a problem and get a replacement because mine doesn't do that.

Now only if Zoom would built a rackmount version with midi. That would be ideal.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I called a Zoom-tech yesterday and just in case someone has or will have the same problem in future, I want to tell you what came out:

The tech told me to send it to him. Most likely the poti does not work correctly and will be replaced within 2 or 3 days. Eventually the reason for that problem might also be the processor. In that case I will get a new G2. So if anyone should have the same problem that i had: this is not normal and should be replaced! Btw, my impression was that the tech was familiar with that problem. I donīt want to start a fire without legal cause, but maybe this is a problem that didnīt occur the first time?!
However, the G2 is a great thing! Things like that can happen...

Tags
gain knob , local music store , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode