ZR Trem good? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

ZR Trem good?

Hi there!
I've been reading abt the ZR Trem in the forums and until now, I can't get an idea on how good is it...

Can anyone give me the low down on it? How it compares to the Original Edge in terms of stability, how whammy crazy it can go and so on?

And is it an easy trem to take apart and clean? Read that many luthiers wouldn't do it coz they don't know much abt it...

Cheerio!
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Re: ZR Trem good?

My friend used to have an S with the ZR trem, so I can give you a review of the trem interms of functionality. However, I can't really tell you about the strip down and dissassembly n all that.

Anyway, I think in terms of stablity, the ZR is unmatched. In comparison with the Lo-Pro in my FP, it stays in tune much better. I mean, my Lo-Pro doesn't go out of tune unless I really abuse it but the ZR just wouldn't move a single bit. The built in trem setter device really makes a different in the stablity. Also, double stops don't go out of tune, which is great cause I've been a bit vex about double stops on the Lo-Pro (as with any other non-trem-setted floyd rose). Intonation was also much easier than the Lo-Pro. The intonation screw is off-setted so its not directly under the string. The adjustment machinism is easy to work with, I would say easier than the Lo-Pro. Some not-so-good things about it is that the trem feels significantly heavier than the Lo-Pro, some do not mind, some do, depends. Another thing is that flutters are much more dampened than Lo-Pro. It's still there, but hard to get out. Rich from ibanezrules.com actually speaks quite highly of the ZR bridge but doesn't go into too much detail. Hope my information helped.

-Bo
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 11:40 PM

i was amazed by the ZR trems when i played one! i very much liked the feel of it. heavy to some but i have my setup with 11s and a 62 on my seven so im used to a tuff trem, and the stability was awesome. i'd easily put it in the same class as the edge and lo pro. good job ibanez on this one
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hmmm...
I know that the trem setter helps a lot in the double stops and tuning stability area.. but it also makes the trem stiff, thus fluttering is harder to do.

So...

Has anyone taken out the trem setter and left the ZR as a truely floating trem?
How does this affect stability?

Rich does speak highly abt it but its only a short review...

Oh ya, and has anyone really abused the ZR? Do Vai-style heavy trem action on it? How does it fare? Can it pull up as much as an Edge? (about 3-4 tones)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 AM

3-4 tones? hehehe my Lo-Pro does 6
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
3-4 tones? hehehe my Lo-Pro does 6

Hahaha!
That shows how much "abuse" I give my trem...

SOooo... Can the ZR do a 6 tone pull up?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 01:49 PM

I've got an S470 with a ZR and its awesome. Vai-style abuse is no problem, and it returns to pich perfectly. With regards to taking out the tremsetter, I haven't dared yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

Peace,
Dave.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 AM

Thumbs up Re: ZR Trem good?

i just bought an S470 with the ZR trem in it. Now let me say that I was an ORIGINAL Floyd Rose nut from the 80's. I never used any other trem. then I sold all my Kramers, etc, and got way more bluesy with my strats and tele. In any event, this new S470 is my first foray back into trem from hell music, and I must say...

The ZR feels SO nice, it was easy to set up, and very durable. I took out the trem stop onc ei got the thing out of the box and set up the trem myself. awesome controls with the tension to make the trem float perfect. ALWAYS in tune. insane.

I only wish the screw in arm would be alittle easier to get where you want it. Also I think the bar is a little too long. I cant play it sitting down without it always catcdhing on my leg (i play classical style when sitting).

It's a bad ass trem. as a matter of fact, I was just wondering if it would fit in a JEM body? I am getting pretty close ot building my own BSB, and I want the ZR trem in there. an EXCELLENT piece of cold blue steel if you ask me. Great Job IBZ !!

Tags
floyd rose , trem setter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode