ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive

Hey all - so I just picked one of these up - and I gotta say I love it. Now the reason I bought it was I've been liking an overdriven-type distortion recently, and I wanted to run an overdrive pedal in series with a distortion pedal (I've got an ancient Roland JC-120 with NO distortion) - but I'm liking this ZW44 so much I've been using it alone. I mean I know the ideal purpose would be to put it in front of a tube amp to work it a bit harder, but I figured what the hell (and I had a gift certificate to the music shop). I mean its kind of an old-school type overdrive in my opinion - I mean I've heard he uses them to overdrive his Marshalls, but its not gonna make a ****ty amp sound like Zakk like some "artist" distortion/overdrive pedals seem to be designed to do. Its just a straight up overdrive sound. Which I love. It's funny, cause I read a lot of the HC reviews of this pedal, and people seem to expect massive distortion . . . but its really not like that. And using an AC adaptor, I can crank the output and drive and there's absolutely no noise. Its awesome. Anyway - anyone else own one and care to comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM

Re: ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive

I used to have one, and I agree with you that you can definitely get a good sound out of the thing on its own. The magic of that pedal still comes from putting it in front of some dirt to give it more beef - it pretty much gave me what I was looking for out of it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Yep, glad to have one on mypedal board. Its not the most used pedal, but like draco said, its good for pushing a dirty amp.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:02 AM

the ZW44 Overdrive is supposedly a complete rip of the circuit used in the Boss SD-1 (super overdrive) which Zakk was using for YEARS before he made this pedal with Dunlop.

another good piece of info is the Boss SD-1 is a total rip of the Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal but the only difference is the Boss uses Asymmetrical Clipping to give it more harmonics and more crunch than the Tube Screamers Symmetrical Clipping stage.

So I guess all in all... if you like the ZW44 overdrive... chances are you'll totally like the Boss SD-1 and really like a Tube Screamer. Funny how that all worked out eh?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 AM

Its a completely different animal than a tubescreamer. I had both on my pedalboard for awhile. Never had an SD1
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Except then I'd have three pedals that do "essentially" the same thing . . . I guess I'm stuck with this one until I try one out that I like better . . .

Tags
distortion pedal , ibanez tube screamer , overdrive pedal , pedal board , super overdrive , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode