FS: custom Jem GMC swirl project - Jemsite
Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars Classified ads for Ibanez JEM and Universe Guitars only. List your JEM/UVs for sale and/ or trade. List items you Want to buy. This topic is heavily moderated and links to auctions are not permitted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

FS: custom Jem GMC swirl project

Hi guys!

For your consideration is this custom built Jem project by SimsCustomShop. Really sorry that I have to part with it but I need money to cover some unforeseen expenses that I have done lately and more of them is just about to come... We're going through really hard times here in Russia. Anyway if you're interested it's yours.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...8.jpg~original

The body and the neck were built by Patrick Sims in February, 2015. He also did the paint job. I have first assembled this guitar a couple of months ago and it's been taken apart several times for some mods until I was quite satisfied with its sound. Last time I had it disassembled for shielding and re-soldering to standard Jem switching system but never finished it.

Judging strictly and honestly, the overall build quality is 7 out of 10, and it's all about work accuracy and nothing that actually impairs playability. The paint work on the body is quite good - there are some imperfections as slight dents in clearcoat, though hardly noticeable. I had some wood work done to set pickups and there's some work to be done to properly install tremolo spring claw (in case your perfectionism is as strong as mine, or you can as well leave it as is). Clear pickguard has got a small crack in it (as pictured). Likewise the neck is just not perfect cosmetically - it's new with zero fretwear and no cracks, but there are some paint flows on headstock edges and smallest unpainted spot at the lower edge, glue leakage on the 17th fret and slightly oversized nut shelf that extends 2mm (0.08in) beyond the nut, though it's not that noticeable with truss rod cover installed. Otherwise the neck feels great and comfortable to play. I finished it with two thin coats of tru-oil.

Specs:

neck - 3pc maple with ebony fretboard (haven't measured it but feels like Wizard)
body - alder, AANJ
nut - 43mm barless top mount locking nut, Powder Cosmo
bridge - Lo-Pro Edge, Powder Cosmo
neck pickup - DiMarzio Evolution DP158 humbucker F-spaced
middle pickup - DiMarzio ISCV2 Evolution Single Coil
bridge pickup - DiMarzio Evolution DP159 humbucker F-spaced
pickups selector - VLX91 5-way switch

Lo-Pro Edge is aftermarket with some pitting($80) and tuners are new old-stock black Gotoh's($20) off eBay. Pickups are new DiMarzios off eBay($240). All the rest is new Ibanez stock parts I bought from Rich @ Ibanezrules($215 or so). It's also got a custom built tremsetter.

more pics:
http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Vale...?sort=6&page=1
http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Vale...?sort=3&page=1

Price: $750 / EUR660 for the neck and the body (no hardware)
$1100 / EUR970 for the whole project
(won't sell the body and the neck separately unless there are buyers for both)

PayPal.

Will ship worldwide. Approx. shipping cost with EMS to US - $50, to Europe - EUR40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Re: FS: custom Jem GMC swirl project

Could you ship to UK?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli1980 View Post
Could you ship to UK?
Let me know your postcode that I could check it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE!

Alright guys, I have meanwhile got all the cavities shielded with graphite and all soldering done and all parts assembled so it's no more a project - it's a nice looking guitar with no noise when you use your distortion. I've drilled new holes to install spring claw properly (and gagged old ones) and also removed that glue leakage from 17th fret.
Last thing to check was how truss rod works - it's been quite a problem since it's not standard Ibanez rod that requires a socket tool wrench but it's fender-style rod and none of Ibanez allen wrench keys fitted it. Actually there wasn't ever a need to adjust it - the neck is striaght as an arrow but first I was curious and second I don't wan't to sell dysfunctional crap. So I bought a full set of hex keys and checked it out. Well I found I couldn't turn it, it's just stuck. Bad thing for me. So next week I plan to take it to luthier to fix it and I'm pretty sure that even in the worst case it wouldn't cost me more than $200.

So I'm offering you this $200 discount to buy the whole thing as is.
Thereby the new price is:

$ 900 / EUR 795 for the entire guitar

shipping:
$ 50 / EUR 40 disassembled
$75 / EUR 65 in hard case ( additional $ 50 / EUR 40 for hard case)

Will go to eBay after I got truss rod issue fixed.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 AM

Clear your messages I've just sent you a pm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

on hold
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 AM

You have PM

Tags
custom , gmc , jem , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode