AT-1 for neck position? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

AT-1 for neck position?

I was thinking of getting this more focused, more powerful humbucker, and thinking AT-1 in neck of my LTD Viper.

Would that work? It only has a PAF strength humbucker in there now and I want just a little more.

I was also thinking Air Norton in neck. I would hope this too would also be bright and more powerful than PAF.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-22-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: AT-1 for neck position?

If you want a bright, focussed neck humbucker that still sounds like a neck humbucker have a look at the Full Shred Neck. Definitely one of my favourite neck humbuckers, hell the bridge Full Shred is one of my favourite bridge ones. Both are insanely good, focussed and great attack without being too high output
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: AT-1 for neck position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If you want a bright, focussed neck humbucker that still sounds like a neck humbucker have a look at the Full Shred Neck. Definitely one of my favourite neck humbuckers, hell the bridge Full Shred is one of my favourite bridge ones. Both are insanely good, focussed and great attack without being too high output
Full Shred. I will look into that one. Thanks for the tip on those.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I may start with a slightly hot PAF type, Alnico V and go from there. Way below Super Distortion or JB types in terms of horsepower.

If I need more power I will do that then. It will be paired with Hot Rails type copy, mid power GFS 10k to see overall sound.

I think Chopper and 36th could pair, or Fast Track and 36th, but I have to try on 24.6" inch scale and all mahogany body, (which is still much smaller factors than pickup models) and go on experimenting.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I ordered bridge pickup 10k dual rail single coil space pickup.

Depending on treble value of that one, I will then add same value range full sized humbucker for neck for some fatness but not muddy like my old Les Paul which had close to zero single note definition.

I don't want neck pickup so thin or trebly that it sounds like a bridge pickup but fat enough to distinguish itself as different.

I will use bridge pickup by itself for a time and go from there.

Will it hurt to hook it up to three way toggle switch but no pickup in neck? I think this should sound same as if I hooked up bridge pickup directly to pots and output jack.

It will only be that when toggle is in neck position it will be quiet. I don't know if it's still best to leave out toggle for now until I get neck pickup I will put in a couple of months later.

I see so many very complex kit and mod guitars with a ton of wiring options but I won't go that far. Push-pull pot on it was headache enough but it works beautifully now.

I should leave well enough alone but it's always onto modding this endless project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode