1984 Ibanez DT250!! Pickups? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

1984 Ibanez DT250!! Pickups?

8 months ago i bought an 1984 DT250 X series with floating trem and hard case for cheap. It was a little banged up. So its been 4 months of painting and i am finishing it up very soon so i decided to replace the pickups since it is H-H i couldnt decide between Duncan or Demarzio. The demarzio were the Breed (bridge) , and Super 2 (neck) or D Activator. Then duncan had so many choices too.LIke the D distortion, Custom, Invader and more. I went with duncan cause i wanted 2 aggressive p/u's. I got the Pearly Gates for the neck and a Alternative 8 pickup for the bridge. My question is this; I play all types of metal, lead n rythm mixed, solos, and chords. I wanted to alot of mid and bass. Has anyone ever dealt with the Alternative 8 pickup? Did i make a good choice? Duncan has the Alternative 8 rated 7bass/8mid/9hi. The pearly gates is 6bass/5mid/9hi. I also just got a (H-S-H)2006 RG270?? with floyd rose style trem!! I want to put a sustain in the neck and use Di marzio pickups for the bridge and middle on the RG270. Any one got any suggestions here? I want some clean hard punch , no muddy, just aggressive metal. the reason i want di marzio for the rg is cause i want to try them. I guess i have to use a sustainiac on the neck right?

Last edited by musicman2879; 03-04-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Left out some things!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: 1984 Ibanez DT250!! Pickups?

Sorry about the year its not an 84 . Its a 85 or 86.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 AM

yes the a8 might be nice, but really isnt that nice unless u plan to use alot of noise removal hrdware and signal compression

it is a really WAVY waveform pup, out of the boundries

they introduce alot of noise and alot of charachteristics that include, basssy mid punch that goes beyond the mid range, and the trebble is over the top

honestly for the best of the best, for organic tone, where u can alter small parameters on ur effects and amp to get a in ur face sound i would have gone with

for a neck

dimarzio breed, evo, invader
or duncan jb, jazz or d distortion

for the bridge
dimarzio x2n, breed, invader, evo, or in those lines
duncan, id recomend a duncan distortion only for a bridge pup in thier line

in all honesty these are already highly compressed singals right out of he pup itself

the ones u mentioned and the ones u put in ur guitar, really are over the top non0clarity(mostly a signature sounding) pickups

you can get away with my dynamics and clarity at any volume even with the highest gain passive pickup made a x2n

for ur rg id recoment just getting a evo in the bridge and a jb in the neck, and youll get any tone you ever wanted from those two pickups!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman2879 View Post
8 months ago i bought an 1984 DT250 X series with floating trem and hard case for cheap. It was a little banged up. So its been 4 months of painting and i am finishing it up very soon so i decided to replace the pickups since it is H-H i couldnt decide between Duncan or Demarzio. The demarzio were the Breed (bridge) , and Super 2 (neck) or D Activator. Then duncan had so many choices too.LIke the D distortion, Custom, Invader and more. I went with duncan cause i wanted 2 aggressive p/u's. I got the Pearly Gates for the neck and a Alternative 8 pickup for the bridge. My question is this; I play all types of metal, lead n rythm mixed, solos, and chords. I wanted to alot of mid and bass. Has anyone ever dealt with the Alternative 8 pickup? Did i make a good choice? Duncan has the Alternative 8 rated 7bass/8mid/9hi. The pearly gates is 6bass/5mid/9hi. I also just got a (H-S-H)2006 RG270?? with floyd rose style trem!! I want to put a sustain in the neck and use Di marzio pickups for the bridge and middle on the RG270. Any one got any suggestions here? I want some clean hard punch , no muddy, just aggressive metal. the reason i want di marzio for the rg is cause i want to try them. I guess i have to use a sustainiac on the neck right?
no experience with the alt 8, but if i could recommend the duncan distortion set or the dimarzio super 2 and super distortion/super 3. those combos would be great for that guitar. if your dead set on the pearly gates, i would say that the duncan custom would match it better. it's a big mean, but solid pickup. not over the top, but amazing.

rich

Tags
bridge pup , dimarzio breed , duncan distortion , floyd rose , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode