2 Dimarzio Humbuckers, 5 way switch wiring HELP!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Question 2 Dimarzio Humbuckers, 5 way switch wiring HELP!!

Hello peeps!

I am reviving my old guitar this time around, I'm talking a major overhaul - the electronics are all gonna be brand new, and the weary hardware is also going to be swapped out as well.

As of today, I already got the hardware part covered. And now, I'm having problems with the pickup wiring..I am getting 2 DiMarzio humbuckers, and I wanted to do 5 way switching to them - All neck, neck parallel, both humbuckers, inner coils on, and all bridge. And, I'm using all new electronics - a YM50 5 way switch and 2 500k pots for volume and tone.

So, to those who are willing to help me here, I made a blank DiMarzio wiring diagram, so you guys can just save the diagram into your computer and "complete the puzzle" with colors to make it easy for me to wire them and do post back the completed "puzzle" in this thread

A lot of thanks to all in advance!

BTW, here's the blank diagram:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Re: 2 Dimarzio Humbuckers, 5 way switch wiring HELP!!

First off, the YM50 won't get you the switching combinations you want. I believe that's a standard Strat-style switch meant for guitars with three pickups and is essentially useless for an HH layout. You're looking for the special Ibanez 5-way switch that comes on most of their HH guitars, part number 3PS1SC5, which provides the exact combinations you want.

Check with Rich at http://www.ibanezrules.com/ who may have the exact switch in stock. You can then follow any existing Ibanez wiring diagram for an HH guitar with a 5-way and just swap in the wire colors from your DiMarzios.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM

djohns74 is right, the part number I have is SC/2502W....
Jim
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
djohns74 is right, the part number I have is SC/2502W....
Jim
I actually wonder if that's not the same switch, I've seen both numbers referenced, but I can't tell whether or not they're referring to the same actual switch. I know the switch I've used multiple times has SC/2502 or something similar written on the side of it, but I don't see a reference to that number in Rich's inventory. I think 3PS1SC5 may be the internal part number for the 2502 or something along those lines.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Now I think you're right! Actualy I got that number off the Ibanez schematics, so it is one identifier, but as you say, the part number under which it's sold may be the 3PS number. Rich at http://www.ibanezrules.com/ will definately know and probably stocks them, give him an email...
Jim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

VimFuego,djohns74,

Thanks for the info guys! I always thought that i could pull it off with a YM50 switch, but dang! Now I have to either look for another switch of hook up my old middle single coil back..

anyways, thanks again guys!

Tags
dimarzio , h-h , ym50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode