are the 3 lug output jacks stereo? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

are the 3 lug output jacks stereo?

i am putting emg's into an rg570 and i noticed that the jack has 3 lugs on it. i ordered a stereo jack for my sa160qm and noticed that the both jacks were identical. is the 3 lug jack stereo or mono?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 04:49 PM

It's stereo. But i believe you need it for EMG's because it has something to do with the battery turns it off when the cords not plugged in maybe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 PM

Yess!!!
Itīs for battery deviced Pick-ups or other internal electronic such ass boosters filters e.t.c to save batterypower
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

ok so i will be ok with the stock ibanez output jack. it's been a really confusing day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 05:58 PM

Yes, you can use a stereo jack for non-stereo outputs.

Stereo jack can be used to activeate the battery for active pick-ups.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG7420
ok so i will be ok with the stock ibanez output jack. it's been a really confusing day.
No, actually you will NOT be okay if you use the stock output jack (unless it's a stereo jack already).

If you use the mono jack there will be no way for the pickups to be turned on/off, and you'll either have the battery draining non-stop (you'll pick up the guitar tomorrow and it will be silent) or, depending on your wiring, the pickups won't come on at all.

You need the extra lug, it acts as a switch to turn on the power to the pups, without it things just won't work correctly.

Mic
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 02:04 PM

I have been wondering about that as well. Why is the stock Ibanez Jack's 3 prong unless it is a stereo jack?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 08:04 PM

A 3 pronged jack is not a stereo jack. As if it was designed for stereo use. Its a 3 pronged jack that happens to be needed in a stereo setup.

Its just a jack made for 2 hot leads and a ground. It so happens that in a stereo signal thats exactly what you need but theres jacks that have more then just that. You wont find those on most audio equipment though.

Theres many different popular guitar circuits that need a standard 3 pronged jack for purposes other then stereo or battery power saving. What would help the most is if you described the controls that were on your ibanez to begin with. It very well could have been stereo but I strongly doubt it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 12:20 AM

Ah, I was confused, I thought you were talking about the jack that came with the EMGs . . .

I've never had to replace/rewire an input jack on an Ibanez so I wasn't aware that they had/have three prong jacks, but looking at the wiring "diagrams" on Ibanez.com I see that they are indeed three prong.

Hmm . . .

Have to ponder this . . .

Mic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 07:13 PM

Are you sure they even used the 3rd prong in the wiring? Look at it and see if all the prongs have solder on them. I forget what brand of guitar, I think Jackson, but I remember opening up one guitar and seeing a 3 way jack but they still only used 1 groung and 1 lead.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 07:45 PM

On mine (just looked) there's one that's bare, no connection, as expected.

I assume (ass-u-me) they just buy lots of three lug only and use them for everything.

Easier that way in some respects, just one thing to order, and on the models that need three (like basses with active EQ) you have what you need all in one bin instead of keeping two different kinds at hand.

I'd also imagine that the cost difference is almost moot, since they buy so many of the things in a clip.

Mic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode