Ibanez JEM Forum banner

3 way switch issues

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  j.arledge 
#1 ·
Hey - I just replaced the bridge pickup on an import Ibanez - an ART100 - and it works great. But, when the selector is in the middle position (neck PU + bridge PU) the sound is super thin and weak. In the neck position - sounds great. In the bridge position - sounds great. In the middle - sounds weak. I can't think of a reason for it, other than a bad switch - and I can't remember if it did that with the stock pickups (I never used the middle position). Any help would be appreciated, thanks

#4 ·
Just guessing, I think your pickups out-of-phasing each other. Try to reverse the polarity of ONE of the pickup.

Example (Dimarzio 4 conductors pickup): change the hot to WHITE (instead of RED). Tape RED & GREEN together, while connect the BLACK & Bare as ground wire.

Or if it has just 2 wires, then switch between the hot & ground wire.

#5 ·
to change phase on dimarzio switch the red and green wires. red is the hot wire in all standard configs and green is run with the bare to the ground.

make green your hot and run red to the ground.

it does sound like an out of phase issue, but what pickup did you put in ? and if you could post a picture of the switch and or wiring it would let us take a look and make sure nothing else is off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.