3-way switching for H-S-H config. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Question 3-way switching for H-S-H config.

hey im just wondering
i have this RG w/ H-S-H pickups configuration
of course w/ a typical 5-way selector switch

can i change the 5-way into a 3-way?

so that the bridge position will have the bridge humbucker active, the middle position will have the singlecoil active, and the neck position will have the neck humbucker active?

i dont know if the 3-way switches are made different, but i prefer the JPM-style 3-way switch

if there is a wiring diagram, that'll be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Re: 3-way switching for H-S-H config.

So you don't want any combination sounds? That's easy. Just get a 3-way pickup selector and hook it up as if it were a 5 way. You'll just be avoiding stops at 2 and 4. To wire a 3-way to produce combination sounds on a 2 pickup guitar requires jumpers to connect the outside positions to the center positions. You don't have to worry about that. Just put one pickup on each position lug and you're done.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Gex

I dont understand WHY you would want to do this.

Your making your guitar less versitle. I dont see the point of taking away 2 very useful pickup positions. I can understand not using them, but a 3 way switch moves and functions exactly like a 5 way, except the 5 way has 2 extra spots. If you dont want them, how hard is it to just.. .flip right past positions 2 and 4?

If you REALLY want a 3 way switch, then knock yourself out. Its just crippling your guitar, its taking away the 2 really cool pickup combinations that are unique to the H-S-H setup.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

hmm ok thanks for the info!
n honestly, i really havent noticed the pos. 2 and 4 sounds like
they're different, but i really dont use them much
n i havent noticed that they're unique to the HSH setup as well
thanks again!

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , neck humbucker , neck position , pickup combination , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode