331 Capacitors - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

331 Capacitors

Anyone have any laying around they don't need? there the same ones used in the JS1000. The Ibanez parts catalogue here in Japan don't advertise them, but there listed in the wiring diagram. Local shop doesn't have any in stock either! All I could find were 223, 473, and 104. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 11:21 AM

Search for some good electronics shops in your area. Normally it's no problem to get your hands on a 331 pF capacitor (small, round, orange).

Cheers,
Joten
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 04:59 PM

Reviving this old thread to be sure I got this capacitor thing right...

The Ibanez wiring diagrams for the JS6 and JS1000 label the high pass filter capacitor wired to the volume pot as a "331" (just like Scott asked about here). Well, as Joten said, that should be a 330 pF capacitor (= .00033 microfarad). But upon checking around, I can't find any of those except by special order. Can't find them at any of the more notable guitar electronics dealers or general electronics outlets (not sure if I'm allowed to mention names here?).

What puzzles me is that DiMarzio sells a .033 microfarad capacitor, but I believe that would correspond to a 33000pf rather than to a 330pf (1,000,000 pf = 1mf). The fact that DiMarzio sell a .033mf makes me wonder if either they're labeled wrong in the wiring diagrams, or there is some labeling convention I'm not getting right.
Thanks to all you engineers out there,
Bert
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 05:45 PM

Following up to my own post so I don't waste someone else's time...

I emailed Dimarzio and, as usual, they were quick to respond (those guys are about the best there is for tech support). Here's the reply:

.033 microfarads is not the correct value - it's 100 times the value of 330 picofarads, and is for a tone control only. 560 picofarads or .001 microfarads will also work well as a high pass filter cap.

So either I'll go with the .001 cap unless someone advises me otherwise. It seems like a lot of people that get into rewiring projects would be looking for those 331 caps. Anyone else make a substitution with satisfactory results?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier
So either I'll go with the .001 cap unless someone advises me otherwise. It seems like a lot of people that get into rewiring projects would be looking for those 331 caps. Anyone else make a substitution with satisfactory results?
I will dig this thread up for the 2nd time

I haven't found a problem with gettng hold of 330pf capacitors (Maplin in the uk which is similar to radioshack. Have them!) If you are having trouble you can add capacitors in parrallel to form new values! eg a 220pf in parallel woth a 100pf cap, equals 320pf (with the standard 5% tolerances of ceramic caps the 10pf wouldn't be that apparent )
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 06:31 PM

Cute story: I went to an electronics store to buy one once and when I got out my wallet they just laughed and me and dropped the cap in my hand. They said in monetery terms it wasn't worth opening the cash register for *LOL*
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:49 PM

I did finally find one of these things in a package with around 50 other caps of various types at Radio Shack. So it's now wired to my push pull pot, but like others have said, I have a very hard time hearing much difference, regardless of where the volume pot is set. Next time, I doubt I'd go to the trouble of finding one and installing it.
Bert
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:37 AM

I had similar problem as you guys. Like you guys I had trouble locating 330pf capacitor. Value seemed so incredible low.
The 0.022MF capacitor is regular value. I also asumed mistake in Ibanez.com parts list, and thought it might be 330 mF instead of 330pf.
I was wrong.

330 pf is 330 pf.......

On www.conrad.de they have nice 330pf polypropylene axial condensator.
I think using one of them.

For review on other caps see:

http://ldsg.snippets.org/appdx-ec.php3
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmm
For review on other caps see:

http://ldsg.snippets.org/appdx-ec.php3
IMHO in guitars stuff like ESR, parasitic inductance, temperature coefficients etc. Don't matter too much, its when you put then in places in the amp where they make differences.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 02:40 PM

Sound is sound is sound is sound.....so noise send to amp can't be corrected by amp. Whatever the quality of the amp.

I'm building JS copy as we speak and sure will use 0.022 mF polyprop. caps. They may be bit more expensive....but no ceramic caps in my new baby.

I go the extra effort to get the right tone wood (limba), I go the extra effort to get the good quality pickups, I shield all cavities, so why no go the extra effort and use good quality caps.

Just my $0.02.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 PM

Re: 331 Capacitors

Digging this posts up yet again.

For a nice table on capacitor numbers versus values, you can check out http://www.radiodaze.com/capacitor_ID.htm. As mentioned above, you can add two caps to make a value, but not mentioned was that they are added in parallel, not series (reason here).
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 PM

Hi there!

I used to live in Kent, England and, if my memory serves me right, it was difficult to source any of the typical treble bleed caps [221pf, 331pf and 471pf etc].
Where I am living now I have a fantastic supplier almost on my doorstep. They have large quantities of all of the common values in stock pretty much 100% of the time.

If any of you guys need them I'd be happy to mail some to you no problem! If there's a bunch of you in a particular location then perhaps one person could volunteer to be the main recipient and then pass them on accordingly, ok?

Feel free to drop me a line....

All the best,

Steve.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM

Try here..... www.newarkinone.com
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:06 AM

Just thought I'd chip in my help too for anyone looking for any electronic stuff. try http://rswww.com and http://uk.farnell.com. Massive selection of stuff.

Tags
high pass filter , ibanez wiring diagram , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode