5-way switch trouble. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

5-way switch trouble.

Just got my 1989 RG560 up and running after 10 years of sitting in case due to needing parts for the trem. Way back around 1992 I put a Carvin M22SD in the bridge, that has been the only change from stock.

As I plugged in I had no bridge signal. The right right wire was broken off, so I soldered it back. I had a very weak signal (weaker than the single coils), so I started touching parts of the 5-way switch. When I touch the tab on the 5 way switch (see image in link below), I get full sound. Anyone know what might be wrong? I'm no way an expert on wiring. Thanks.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...chJPGsmall.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 AM

Re: 5-way switch trouble.

My professional advice is to replace it. Sealed switches are never worth the trouble to mess with once they start to give you problems. You wind up just chasing your tail and wind up replacing it soon anyway. A good switch will run you no more than about $25, fix your issue in about ten minutes and feel better doing it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

I could try to do a switch replacement, but I get full sound when I simply touch it. I don't have to press hard or anything. The slightest skin contact will "fix" it. There is not even anything connected to that tab. And my trem ground is connected, and the single coils sound fine. Just the bridge.

I've really never done much wiring, I'm basically a rookie. I can tell you my entire wiring history in a minute. Have any hints, other than the ones about soldering technique? I'd hate to pull all the parts, and then find I'm completely lost. Plus I really needed two extra hands just resoldering that broken wire. It would take me 10 minutes just to get one wire off, much less do a replacement.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

I can't figure it out, I'm taking it to someone. I coulda already earned enough money to pay someone to do it in the time I wasted with zero results. And truthfully I don't even know how I managed to swap the pickup 20 years ago and get it to work.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:08 AM

It's probably a dying/dead switch like musikron said.
Just make a note of what goes where. And try your best to replicate it.
You probably like an box-style or import-style lever switch.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

I don't care what you guys claim, this stuff is not easy, I'm not gonna get it right the first time. I'm more interested in playing, not spending countless hours learning to be a tech. I looked at different diagrams, and they all look different, and I don't even know which one is correct. And none of them even explain what that transformer looking thing on the tone pot is. Thanks for your help, but I'm taking it in.

Every time I try to mess with stuff, I just make it worse and it ends up costing me more to pay someone to fix the screwups, on top of the original fixes needed. One example: I decided on the fine idea of changing the differential fluid on my Firebird myself, instead of just paying the $50. I unknowingly ended up doing a piss poor job of applying the gasket, and the fluid leaked out. Well due to the fluid leaking out, one day the gears broke due to lack of lubrication. My supposed saving of $40 ended up costing me $400, after having to pay for towing, a new differential, van rental to get the part, and paying someone to swap it out. There have been countless other incidents where my quest to be a cheapskate ended costing me more money, but you get the picture. With my luck I'll just end up breaking the truss rod trying to do a switch replacement.

Last edited by Randy G; 01-31-2012 at 03:45 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM

Might just be a grounding issue. Your body might be acting as a ground when you touch it.

go here, use this diagram, same switch as yours.
http://forum.ibanez.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80144
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Go a few posts down in the linked thread above, to the RG560

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8899/riiight.jpg
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I might give it another shot. The Carvin M22SD has a black-white-red lead, and the ground shield. Is the black the same as the grey in your diagram?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Problem was solved, but when using a Carvin pickup, the red and white leads are swapped as note don the RG560 diagram. The guitar sound real good now.

Last edited by Randy G; 02-02-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Tags
bridge , rg560 , switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode