500k, or 1 MEG? What would it be like? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
500k, or 1 MEG? What would it be like?

I know 500 hundreds are good, but I've also seen that there are 1 MEG's out there now, are these super hot, or what's the deal on them? I was just interested in knowing what it would do volume AND tone wise? Let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 AM

Re: 500k, or 1 MEG? What would it be like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anecdota
I know 500 hundreds are good, but I've also seen that there are 1 MEG's out there now, are these super hot, or what's the deal on them? I was just interested in knowing what it would do volume AND tone wise? Let me know.
1M pots put less load on the pickups. This causes the frequency response to be affected less and so the sound is brighter. They work well for really high output pickups that are sometimes considered muddy because they add a bit of sparkle. Yo may also have a slight increase in overall volume but its quite small. Some say that 1Meg pots have tapers that are "bunched at one end" instead of being a gradual increase in volume.

If you want to know what it will sound like its in between having a 500k pot and having not pot attached to a pickup.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
If you want to know what it will sound like its in between having a 500k pot and having not pot attached to a pickup.
Yeah, a 1MEG pot full open is like not having a pot at all
If you have a pickup that is very bright, or a little harsh, using a 1MEG pot will make you break windows when you pinch a harmonic

1MEG pots are difficult to find in audiotapers, most of them are linear and if they are linear they will feel like bunched to one side.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:53 AM

I did this experiment - I'm always looking to recover any output lost by components like potentiometers, etc...

I use 500k volume pots as a rule... and put in a good 1 meg pot.
The brightness was intolerable to me! Wow... it was disturbing how big a difference this made - if you've got a guitar with a 500k volume that needs some sparkle regained without changing much, do this...

I'm pretty particular, really - I have to use a 30-foot cable (of good quality, in fact I favour Canaire cable, which I use with Switchcraft ends to make my own) as anything shorter sounds wrong to me - too bright.
And using a shorter cable with different eq to reduce brightness is all wrong, too... I've just become too used to the 30' patch cords all this time... go figure.
=]

Tags
high output pickups , meg pot , output pickup , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode