5way questions and others - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
5way questions and others

Hey, guys... I can't believe I'm posting here... kinda embarrassed really, I've done a lot of research but have not been able to find my answer, so here it goes....

I'm getting to replace all of the electronics (except for the output jack) in my RG520QS. Now, I will be changing to the pickups to DiMarzio AT-1 for the bridge (which I already have) and a Air norton in the neck (not yet purchased). I plan on getting the pots as similar to the stock ones (in the profile, etc) and the same for the 5-way.

Now here is where I'm getting confused: I visited DiMarzio's website for a schematic for the 520, and here it is: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul.../RG520-DiM.pdf
Could somebody tell me if that is how the pickup config is stock? I honestly though it was set like the 3120 here: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...rg3120wire.pdf
By that, I mean I though (but can't tell with my ears) the 520 was also "neck, neck parallel, neck+Bridge, neck+bridge(inner coils only), bridge. Could somebody tell me if the 520 Diagram really is how the 520 comes stock?
Also, if that is not in fact stock, I would like to go the way the 3120 is, but I was wondering if you need the VLX91, or if you can use the one that comes with the 520 (not sure which one that is, I don't think it is the YM-50).

Finally, I was wondering which pots I need over here http://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm#Pickups
My knobs are the setscrew type, not sure which pot that is though.

I hope I was clear enough and look forward to your responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: 5way questions and others

the 520 uses a special 5-way switch found on most 2 Hum Ibby's:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/parts/3PS1SC5.jpg

It's technically a "simpler" way of wiring a 2-Hum setup compared to the VLX91.
If the switch hasn't been replaced yet; then the stock IS: neck, parallel neck, neck + bridge, inner-coils on each hum and bridge.
Otherwise, the switching for the 3120 and 520 are identical, except the former uses the better 5-way

As for the pots, ideally the splined shaft pots (15mm or 24mm - varies on the guitar) are the ones that come stock but you can use also use a smooth shaft as well for set-screw knobs.

Reg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4

Thanks!
Hey, my old capacitors should still be fine right? Do I need to get new ones, too?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Reviews: 12

unless you fried the caps or decide to upgrade/remove 'em... then those caps should still be good :P

Reg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode