7 string humbuckers, non-metal! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

7 string humbuckers, non-metal!

Hi!

I'm getting the new RG7420, and want to swap out the stock pickups (even before I get the guitar). Basically, I'm looking for a pair of humbuckers that's 'sparkling' with a lot of top end and clarity, almost like an overwound single coil. In my RG7312 I got a pair of DiMarzio Blaze 7's. They have got a lot of the things I'm looking for, clarity and top end chime, but I really think their too hot output-wize for my taste. It's difficult to use it with the other guitars I've got, that has vintage voiced, low output pickups (strat w/fralins, es335 w/classic 57, SG w/Duncan 'Jazz etc).

So, where and what should I be looking for?

What I'm looking for, I think, is a humbucker that's equal to a PAF when it comes to output, but has more top end than the average PAF-bucker..., and of course with enough pole pieces to fit into a seven string guitar.

Any suggestions?

Price is also an issue. I'm not looking for over-priced Bareknuckle's (there, I said it...). $150 for a pair is OK..., AND I want them to be available in double white (since the RG7420 I'm getting is also white).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: 7 string humbuckers, non-metal!

DiMarzio have the PAF 7, but maybe you should contact the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and have them make you some pickups to your specs. I bet they'd be able to put together something that'll do exactly what you want.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM

maybe try Seymour-duncan? I think there's an email address there where you can ask your question. Or add Keith Merrow on facebook, and ask him directly.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
.....Or add Keith Merrow on facebook, and ask him directly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM

Reviews: 11

I know I'd do a PAF 7 in the neck. Without a doubt. I've heard that they have a lot more top end than you'd think (it's usually every metal players biggest complaint).

But that's really about it unless you want higher output in the bridge.

Have you thought about getting something medium output and lowering it into the body? Because I love the clarity of my D-Sonic 7 in my RG7620.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking PAF7 in the neck as well, but not sure what to put in the bridge that doesn't have twice the output...

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop? I doubt that they can make me a set of both bridge and neck pickup for something around 150 USD. Maybe if I needed only one pickup...

Have anyone tried an Air Norton 7 in the bridge position?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM

No, no, not the custom shop. They can probably advise of the closest type of stock 7 string pickup in their range that would give you what you want. Can't hurt to ask. I'm not sure of pricing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
No, no, not the custom shop. They can probably advise of the closest type of stock 7 string pickup in their range that would give you what you want. Can't hurt to ask. I'm not sure of pricing.
Hah. Don't know where I got "custom shop" from. A long day at work, pretty tired.

The shop I got the 7420 from is also a SD dealer, and they said that at the moment SD 7-string humbuckers are only available in black (that's what the folks at SD said to him after I asked about a set of '59 and 'Jazz in all white)... Sounds weird, but hey, it was no problem for him that I order humbuckers from another shop, have them send to him and that his guitar tech installs them before shipping the guitar to me. Me like.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckstopChuckie View Post
I'm thinking PAF7 in the neck as well, but not sure what to put in the bridge that doesn't have twice the output...

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop? I doubt that they can make me a set of both bridge and neck pickup for something around 150 USD. Maybe if I needed only one pickup...

Have anyone tried an Air Norton 7 in the bridge position?
I doubt they would either, but if you really want the sort of tone you are talking about here I'm sure they can make the perfect pickup for you.

A good option from the production line may be the 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge and 59 in the neck. If you want the single coil sound wire it in parallel. That'll do the job for you. Talk to Seymour Duncan though, they'll work something out for you, whether its wiring for production pickups that'll get what you want, or a full on custom shop pickup set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode