7-String pickup for Thrash/Death Metal ? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Gus

7-String pickup for Thrash/Death Metal ?

I`ve installed the Seymour Duncan SH-6 7-string Duncan Distortion in my Ibanez RG 7620 guitar. I can say it`s bright and powerfull. I play fast Thrash/Death Metal with lots of palm muting. I think this pup suits my style. If somebody plays similar style,and has tried other Duncan or DiMarzio 7-string pups and compared them, please let me know, thanx !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 01:47 PM

DiMarzio Evo7 ... Rocking :-)

Rob
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 12:20 AM

i'm the only lad here with stock dimarzio7s in the 7620 (& darn happy with these)... thanks to my amp- Mayhem/ Morbid Angel/ Immortal/ Gorgoroth no problem!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 01:01 AM

I think the Evolution7 sounds killer for death/thrash. (link is to a recording of an RG7620/Evo7 in bridge, 222KB mp3)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
i'm the only lad here with stock dimarzio7s in the 7620 (& darn happy with these)... thanks to my amp- Mayhem/ Morbid Angel/ Immortal/ Gorgoroth no problem!
My rg7620 came stock (dunno if it had been upgraded) with,Blaze's,And compared to UV7BK pups are identicle in markings and sounds,You may have them and not know ;-)

Rob
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 AM

i double checked- mine's a Y2K model with the Dimarzio7s... they still sound killer though
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 11:54 AM

i get fantastic heavy Meshuggah type sounds with the Duncan JB7 in my 7620s and the Custom 7 in my 540S7. i find the heaviness comes more from amp settings and muting technique, once you have any clear, high output pickup. the JB and the Custom also clean up nicely when i back off the amp gain.

the Tone Zone 7 i would not recommend for that style -- it has a fat, boomy sound that is great for rock but too muddy for fast, crisp riffing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Gus

I agree,Tone Zone is like playing with the tone pot backed a little off,which is not good for fast palm muting riffs.
I think the Custom 7 sounds very similar to Duncan Distortion 7.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Gus

Is there a big difference changing the stock RG7620 bridge for EVO7 ?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:02 PM

I would think that the EVO would have tons more mids, and better clarity. Which is a good thing, if you ask me. I'd check out the Tone Zone 7, too, if I were you.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:34 AM

The Evo7 is way brighter, with more high-mid, compared to the New7 bridge pickup.. It's about the same gain-wise, IMO, maybe just a little hotter, it's a lot clearer though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Gus

But the EMG707 will be the best choice for Metal,or ?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 11:49 AM

No. There is no "best choice" for any style, it's just what you want. I played a Jem7VWH with EVOs through a Mesa Mark IV, and the tone was incredible. Better than anything I've ever heard done with EMGs. The fact is, somehow EMG has gotten this reputation as being the best metal pickup ever, and nothing comes close to it, when this couldn't be further from the truth. You have to realize (and this can hard to accept, as we all love a fire-breathing bridge pickup) that a high-output pickup is simply not in any way essential to a heavy tone. If the pickup is too hot, it will sound unclear, and flubby on the low end, which is something you don't want.

I too play extreme metal, so I know where you're coming from. Right now, I'm looking for an RG 7620 (if you're interested in selling, look me up, I have a post in the classifieds) and I'm going to put a Tone Zone 7 in the bridge. I imagine you would say that this pickup is too dark, too middy, and too lacking in output to be a good metal pickup. I disagree. The 707 is very scooped, but you want a lot of mids in a pickup if you're going to scoop the mids at the amp. Otherwise, it's just blah. Also, if you crank the treble on your amp (I imagine you do), you might try something not as bright to begin with, so you won't sound harsh or thin. If you havea darker sounding rig, the EVO should do you fine. If your rig is bright, pop in a Tone Zone. It will serve you well. There's a reason these two pickups are so popular on this forum. Also, I would recommend the Duncan Invader 7. It's very fat and dark sounding, too.

Basically, I just wanted to say that EMGs are very overrated, and if you buy the EMG Afterburner, you get all the benefits of active pickups anyway. I have one, they're great.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Gus

What about DiMarzio Paf Pro 7 bridge (Korn,Morbid Angel,..) ?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:42 PM

That's PAF 7, not PAF Pro 7.

It's not a very hot pickup. It's voiced like a vintage pickup, so its tonality will be very even for clear articulation, and its output in the medium range.

Tags
amp settings , bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio blaze , dimarzio blaze custom , dimarzio evo , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , duncan distortion , duncan invader , mesa mark , morbid angel , output pickup , paf pro , palm muting , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode