70's DiMarzio Dual Sound Experts please... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

70's DiMarzio Dual Sound Experts please...

Hi, I have a '77 Dual Sound i bought new back then.

i did the coil-cut as per the directions which came in the box. Did that cut off the coil away from the bridge? (Pickup was orientated with wire exiting HB towards volume pots in the normal fashion.)

I'm putting it in a different guitar and the bridge location is a little further up. So i want to keep the active coil in the same place under the strings as the former guitar. If the active coil was nearest the bridge, all i would need to do is turn the DS around and add more connecting wire.

2nd question: In early 80's i put a chrome cover on it using an epoxy glue. Well i took the cover off and the glue reacted with the bobbin tops, crinkling them. I think i can sand off about 2MM with the hex screws out & get it flat again. I would appreciate any info of anyone who's sanded the old ones; what grit to use etc.... 2ndly, Any way to impregnate the bobbin surfaces with a plastic conditioner and shine it up to get somewhat of the original look?

Mine has silver tape around the coils. Not sure if that was added by a repair guy for sound-proofing, i cant remember. was black tape stock back then?

One more: do the hex screws need to be all the way down to touch a bar or something? (I could not find any construction diagrams on-line.) I never see pics of them raised so assume they need to be all the way down... In all these years I've never messed with them. Reason asking is whatever i sand away on top, may want to file away bottoms of screws to keep flush top. Noticed there was no more room to go down as they are.

Any help greatly appreciated!

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: 70's DiMarzio Dual Sound Experts please...

I advise you to contact DiMarzio directly, they're the best to answer your questions

Tags
dimarzio , dual sound , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode