About EMG pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

About EMG pickups

Ok, i love the EMG 81 distortion sound for lead playing, its just fantastic, but im afraid of two things.
The first: i dont know if the clear sounds are good enough, i mean, im also into warm clean jazzy sound, you know, for fingerpicking and clean jazz improv, a sweeter tone i guess. and i dont know if the 81's could perform this task (As a bridge pickup).
The second: i love the seymour duncan jazz humbucker (As a neck humbucker), i love that crunchy sound when the guitar is distorted and again the warmer tone for jazzy stuff, the problem is, that i havent found any EMG pickup with this features.

Well, you'll propably be saying , simple, put a EMG 81 in bridge and a SD Jazz in neck. OF COURSE! i though that at first, ***BUT!!!*** i read some faq at seymour duncan site , and there, they said that you just cant mix a SD passive pickup with an Active pickup of any other brand.
By the way i use a RG1570.

What you guys think about this?

Thanks for the help and comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 04:44 PM

Re: About EMG pickups

I've heard the EMG 85 is a ton warmer and a lot more PAF sounding than the 81. But since it's still active it's still really clear and stuff. I would try the 85 and see how you like it. Otherwise your gunna have to do like I did... get a bunch of guitars! lol, only way to do it man... 1 guitar can't do it all... and that sucks.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 PM

the emg 60 is plenty warm, more so than the 85 to my ears.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:57 AM
dex

Both 85 and 60 can do warm jazz tones quite well, the 60 can even do a position 2 and 4 like strat sound and for that alone I'd go with the 60.
Mind you I'd get you usable jazz tones with 81 neck as well - way more usable than any "hot" pasive pickup can ever do.

ilia

Last edited by dex; 02-05-2005 at 09:25 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:19 AM

Is it possible to mix a PAFPro brdige with an EMG active pickup in the neck?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 AM
dex

Active and passive pickup combination in the same guitar is not desirable, even if you manage to make it work you'll either need 2 volume controls and 2 outputs or an elaborate 3 chain on/on switch installed.

ilia
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:58 PM

I would advice against it, but if you insist on combining an EMG 81/ Seymour Duncan Jazz you will need to peform the following modifications:

Install EMG 25K Volume and Tone Pots and Passive 250/500K Volume and Tone pots for each respective pickup. It would be advisable to not use the position 2 combination, as it would probably damage the EMG or The Jazz.

You can use them in the same circuit chain becasue the EMG takes it's power Directly from the battery and the hot output ultimately goes to the output jack as usual "The whole circuit isn't charged from the 9V battery as some people believe, just the pickup". You may be able to combine the EMG and the Jazz at position 2 if you install some protective circuitry into the pickup sellector switch, but I can't think of the exact components you'd need right now.

I would RECOMEND dumping the EMG 81 active pickup and going for a high output passive alternative. The lundgren model M for instance is a very comparable pickup.

Tags
bridge pickup , emg active , neck humbucker , pickup combination , seymour duncan , seymour duncan jazz , strat sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode