About to pull the trigger, this pickup combo ok? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

About to pull the trigger, this pickup combo ok?

Gday, got a 1570, atm has a D-activator x in the neck and an evo in the bridge and stock s1 in the mid. Im going to re-wire the guitar and replace the pots which are pretty worn out and also replace the bridge and middle pickup. I really like the d activator x neck so ill keep that.

I find that for metal (nothing too extreme just some metallica pantera etc from time to time) the evo has a bit to much of a twang, and although it sounds excellent when my mini recto is cranked right up, it leaves a little to be desired when riffing at lower volumes. On the ohter hand my EMG equipped epiphone is far too powerful for my tastes.

For this reason i figure a d-activator x might work well in the bridge. While im at it ill also replace the mid pickup with either an Air Norton S or more likely a chopper.

Sound like a sensible combo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: About to pull the trigger, this pickup combo ok?

I suggest a Dominion in the bridge.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I suggest a Dominion in the bridge.
Man....I STILL gotta try one of these out!!! everybody loves them, now I have to find out for myself.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Man....I STILL gotta try one of these out!!! everybody loves them, now I have to find out for myself.
I swear--it's like my own custom shop pickup! Everything I've ever wanted in it.
Your tastes are identical to mine--get one!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:57 PM

This might sound like sacrilege on this forum, but I am extrememly impressed with the Guitarheads hexbuckers I have installed in my RG570 right now. They have a little more output than the evo but without the brittle and unforgiving characteristics. They can do everything from Pantera to Gilmoure. The neck pup in the pair gets a little muddy at high gains, but since you're happy with yours it's not an issue. Don't let the low price fool you, at $45 for the pair these pups are excellent and every bit as good as any Dimarzio I've tried out..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 AM

Ya,Dominion in the bridge. I have a sweet 570 sour apple with a Dact X neck/Dominion Brge that has become top player lately. Oh ya,for a while there I was liking that D-Activator neck in the bridge hole but not since the Dominion and Crunchlab came out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post
This might sound like sacrilege on this forum, but I am extrememly impressed with the Guitarheads hexbuckers I have installed in my RG570 right now. They have a little more output than the evo but without the brittle and unforgiving characteristics. They can do everything from Pantera to Gilmoure. The neck pup in the pair gets a little muddy at high gains, but since you're happy with yours it's not an issue. Don't let the low price fool you, at $45 for the pair these pups are excellent and every bit as good as any Dimarzio I've tried out..
Yeah--the Guitarheadz pickups are okay for the money, but I like Guitar Fetish better for "budget pickups."

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Yeah--the Guitarheadz pickups are okay for the money, but I like Guitar Fetish better for "budget pickups."
Sorry man but the pair of Hexbuckers I have installed are a little better than just "okay". Maybe I got the one great pair, but they are just as good as any dimarzios I've ever played with.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Sorry man but the pair of Hexbuckers I have installed are a little better than just "okay". Maybe I got the one great pair, but they are just as good as any dimarzios I've ever played with.
I tried some of those once in a Jackson--they were VERY good for metal!
I just like the GFS--they sound more versatile.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, i ended up going for a D act x bridge, chopper middle and keeping my d act neck x. I got an evo 1 as well so if i feel like something a bit more crisp i can just wack in that bad boy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode