Adding a cover to a pickup - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
bdk

Adding a cover to a pickup

So how does this work? I want gold covers, can I just add those on to any old humbucker? ANyone have any experience doing this? Here's my question, can I take, say, a black PAF PRO, throw a gold cover on it and drop her in? Does this mess with the magnetism of the pickup? Noise? Should I just buy the pickup in Gold, damn, those are expensive!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM

Re: Adding a cover to a pickup

for the par pro, i would go against it. due to the pole pieces. gibson style is more for the slotted/slag poles, where the paf pro is allens. then you gotta look at the spacing. is it gibson spaced or f-spaced? gotta make sure you get the correct cover. as far as magnetism goes, it does alter it. the magnetic field is less concentrated due to it being spread throughout the entirety of the cover instead of 12 individual specific poles.
i have done this with an air norton and tone zone. i hade to buy 2 different sets of covers to get them to fit correctly. i ended up buy actual gibson covers. i would defintiely recommend that you buy them the way you want on the front end...save the headaches.

rich
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM

yes it does actually alter the sound, there are some pups wound just to compensate for the cover
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 PM

You also need to re-pot the pick up once the cover is on to prevent it from being microphonic. Really not worth the expense imho, better to just buy a new pick up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
You also need to re-pot the pick up once the cover is on to prevent it from being microphonic. Really not worth the expense imho, better to just buy a new pick up.

word to that +1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
bdk

Hey guys thanks a lot for the responses, I'm opting for a SD Custom Custom in the bridge, and a GFS paf fat in the neck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 AM

Duncan will of course supply any pickup in a cover, don't know about GFS.

Tags
air norton , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode