Air Norton & Tone Zone In a Jem 7vwh - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Air Norton & Tone Zone In a Jem 7vwh

I had a chance to play on a JPM yesterday and was blown away by the pickups. It seemed so much more controllable, responsive and versatile than the Evo/Paf Pro combination that I currently have on my Jem.

Basically I now want to install and Air Norton in the neck of my Jem and a Tone Zone in the Bridge. At the same time I'd also like to get a new scratchplate and fit a micro switch to allow me to overide whatever pickup setting I am on and have both humbuckers on at the same time. Does anybody know how I can do this? Is there a website with wiring diagrams for this kind of mod or is it best left to a professional?

Cheeyars

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:04 AM

If the JPM was stock, you might want to try the Steve's Special in the bridge.
Greg
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

If the stock bridge pickup in a JPM is a Steve's special then that is what I'm looking for. It sounded fantastic!!

Thanks for the correction Greg
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:37 PM

yes the stock pickup is a Steve's Special or a copy of it. The Tone Zone is what Paul Gilbert uses. no worries...they both sound good.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 03:40 AM

I love both the TZ and the SS, but to tell you the truth, I think the best pickup out there right now is the Breed. I think it would match up really well with the AN in the neck.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 02:35 AM

The JPM guitar has direct mounted pickups whihc sound different than pickups installed on a pickguard. The sounds you describe ("controllable, responsive and versatile") are most likely a result of the direct mounted pickups and the different wood used for the body.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:42 AM

Even with the Air Norton & Steve's Special, it will still sound drastically different because the 7V is made of alder and all Petrucci's guitars (Ibanez or otherwise) are made out of basswood. Wood is a huge variable in the overall sound of a guitar!

I've tried this experiment before... I had an alder RG570CT and I installed a Air Norton & Steve's Special in it. It didn't sound anything like Petrucci or a JPM guitar when I got done with it.

--B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
Even with the Air Norton & Steve's Special, it will still sound drastically different because the 7V is made of alder and all Petrucci's guitars (Ibanez or otherwise) are made out of basswood. Wood is a huge variable in the overall sound of a guitar!

I've tried this experiment before... I had an alder RG570CT and I installed a Air Norton & Steve's Special in it. It didn't sound anything like Petrucci or a JPM guitar when I got done with it.

--B
How did it sound?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:32 AM

Personally, I didn't like it, but perhaps that's because I'm not a big fan of alder guitars in general. I think it sounded "mushy". It certainly did not give the crunch and definition that a Steve's Special in basswood (or even mahogany) brings to the table.

--B
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I really appreciate the advice as mush is certainly not what I am looking for and it could have been an expensive mistake! I may look into buying an old 'player' RG with a basswood body and carry out the mods on that.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:43 AM

Or....buy a JPM and be done with it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Or....buy a JPM and be done with it.
That would be the first choice but don't have that kind of money at the moment. Also I'm not into the Picasso graphics TBH. The only JPM I could play comfortably is the camoflage coloured one.

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pickup , direct mounted pickups , mounted pickups , paf pro , paul gilbert , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode