Alternative to "no load tone pot" - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Alternative to "no load tone pot"

Hi, I recently connected the tonepot to work only with the bridge pickup and loving it

Only problem is I miss the highs I could get when the tone pot wasn't connected. I searched the web and found many doing the "no load mod." but to be honest it seemed a little risky to me. I might pretty much ruin the cap...

Are there any alternatives to this? like what if I keep the pot inside the guitar and place a 3 way switch that can be like;

a-no load
b-tonepot engaged (pot not turned)
c-capasitor engaged (killing all the highs)

But I'll need wiring diagrams for this

If any other ideas please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 PM

Re: Alternative to "no load tone pot"

You can make your tone pot a 1 meg pot. That is the easiest way.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM

Disconnect them like i did in my strat. You will feel the pickup is mildly hotter..
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
You can make your tone pot a 1 meg pot. That is the easiest way.
Hey j.arledge, thanks again

Could you educate me in short about this? I thought the cap always filters earlier (its an orange 0.22) than the pot?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM

the way i understand it is that the 1 meg pot offers more resistance (500 k more) between the outside lugs and the middle lug of the pot. This means that it is harder for your pickup's signal to leak over in to the ground through the capacitor.

i am not extremely well versed in electronics theory or knowledge but i think that is the gist of it. I can also say that I have used 1 meg pots before and you can tell a difference for sure. The pickups are a lot brighter and seem more powerful,which is good in some cases and not so good. It can make some pickups shrill on the high end or liven up a dark pickup.

either way it is a cool, easy, cheap mod to try out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Will do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode