Another PickUp Thread! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Another PickUp Thread!

Right, please don't kill me....

I've decided on a Breed in the bridge position.

What neck pickup would suit this?

Guitar: RG1570 basswood.

Music style/preference: Satch, Vai, Gilbert, no death metal etc.

I already have Paf Pros in my Jem, so don't really want them for my RG.

Curious to hear the Tone Zone, Air Norton (Gilbert's and Satch's tones are sounding mighty fine to me lately).

Any help would be a great help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Another PickUp Thread!

Humbucker from Hell. Sound great clean and even if you play with gobs of distortion, it remains articulate and gives that bubbly smooth neck pup tone.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Reviews: 2

HFH = instant Yngwie neck tone, Acoustic like cleans
ToneZone Neck - never tried it but a regular Norton was surprising
AirNorton= FAT(too whoofy somedays) but articulate highs
Breed Neck = FAT and jazz like
PAFJoe= more vintagelike PAFPro
Evo Neck= very smooth and balanced
Virtual Hot PAF = gritty

My favorite neck pickup used to be HFH though I haven't tried it in Basswood yet
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Another PickUp Thread!

I would never put the Tone Zone in the neck position!!! too hot a pup to do that, I'd go with an Air Norton, Fred or Humbucker from hell!!!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Humbucker from Hell. Sound great clean and even if you play with gobs of distortion, it remains articulate and gives that bubbly smooth neck pup tone.

HFH FTW!

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I would never put the Tone Zone in the neck position!!! too hot a pup to do that
+1. I tried a Tone Zone in the neck position years ago. and was way too much for my tastes. Some folks like them so it completely depends on your set-up. In general, you should shy away from pickups with that much bass unless for some reason your guitar sounds really thin to being with.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I would never put the Tone Zone in the neck position!!! too hot a pup to do that, I'd go with an Air Norton, Fred or Humbucker from hell!!!
Excellent thanks. Seems like HFH is the one to go for. Any comments on the Air Norton?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 AM

A lot of people like the Air Norton....but so far, I'm not one of them. It's not a bad pickup IMHO, it's just a little too dark and thick for me. I had one in an RG and it's a real smooth sounding pickup. A little too smooth for me. I really lean towards the brighter neck pups like the HFH and possible the Bluesbucker. I'm putting one of those in my LP so I'll see how it works out.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks toneboy, that explains it well. I think I'd prefer a brighter pickup too.

Thanks for all the help guys, now just to finalise the colour sheme. What do you think of this?

Cream Breed in bridge

Black stock middle pickup

Cream/Black Humbucker from Hell in the Neck.

Guitar is metallic blue (mirage blue) w/ rosewood fretboard.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 AM

If you'd prefer brighter pu..better not get Breed..bright is one thing Breed surely is not,AN is bright as hell comparing to Breed..but if you're sticking with Breed then HFH would give brightness atleast in neck position
It would be interesting combination..given the fact that Breed bridge is about the darkest,warmest,thickest,smoothest pu it can be..and HFH total opposite. Neck position for HFH would even it a bit. If you could put some samples of it..I really wonder how HFH sounds. As for colors..it's so subjective..I would go with white ones on blue guitar..looks cool to me

Last edited by RG550BW; 03-13-2007 at 08:47 AM.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 AM

...Baby, you must be a broom, cause you just swept me off my feet.

Doh, wrong kinda pickup....
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Dee

Chimp -- the colour scheme sounds nice.

RG550BW -- HFH sounds somewhere between a humbucker and a single coil, plus with a little bit of acoustic mixed in. It's a beautifully clear, unique-sounding pickup, very nice for fast picked runs and legato styles because the notes don't smear together as much as your average humbucker.

My kinda neck pickup.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Dee -- you tempt me to try it..I wasn't really happy with any neck pu..I am a sucker for a bright tone and neck position tends to make it muddy and bassy,and notes mix together..not me A bit of acoustic tone in electric and really clear neck humbucker?..I want to try it! Anyway I play almost every overdriven thing on bridge Air Zone,it's so versatile and nice sounding for overdriven stuff,and clean strat sounds are great on my middle Virtual Vintage 2.1 pu..I might just broaden my sound a bit more with HFH
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Reviews: 2

It might also be worth it to try a Neck Breed in the Bridge with the HFH in the Neck
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

RG550BW- Thanks for that but I heard that the Breed in the bridge was a better version of a Paf Pro (which i like)...also I have heard clips of JJEMMER77s guitar -and the breeds sound good.

What I really am impressed with is that a HFH wasn't even an option for me before I started this thread!

Tags
air norton , alder bodied , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , breed bridge , breed neck model , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , death metal , eric johnson , evolution bridge , evolution neck , joe satriani , les paul , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , rosewood fretboard , steve vai , strat sound , tone zone , tony macalpine , tube amp , van halen , virtual hot paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode