Another pickup wiring resource thread! - Page 4 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Another pickup wiring resource thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I'd like someone to 'splain something to me. The output chart is really obvious but what does the EQ chart mean.

For example, if DiMarzio says a pickup is 7.0 on bass, 8.0 on mid and 7.0 on Treble, to me that means that the mids are more pronounced. But how is that different from a 5.0/6.0/5.0? See what I'm driving at?
Just imagine your amp's EQ setting. Yes in your example the mids are more pronounced: 7.0/8.0/7.0, same as on 5.0/6.0/5.0--just not as "hot" on those points. Back to the amp example:
you can set your amp's EQ settings lie this--bass=4, mid=6, treble=4. The mids are more pronounced. You can put your amp's EQ settings to bass=8, mids=10, and treble=8. Same thing, just at lower settings. Basically, 7/8/7 is just "hotter" than the 5/6/5. I've got a headache now, but I hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ashbass came up with a really cool diagram. I found it a perfect fit in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
I have one guitar that has three pickups. HSH configuration. My other guitars are HH. The HSH bugs me often when i want to get the Neck and Bridge combination. I've read in the past about using a push-pull switch to add the bridge pup to whatever position the switch is in but never thought it was elegant. So here we have elegant (IMO).

I use a push-pull switch to swap the pickups that are wired to the middle and bridge positions on the switch. When the switch is down, I have normal 5-way options. But when the switch is up, the bridge pup gets moved to the middle position on the switch and the middle pup is moved to the bridge position of the switch. This lets me use switch positions 1, 2, and 3, as if the guitar were an HH.

What do you thnk?

post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Just imagine your amp's EQ setting. Yes in your example the mids are more pronounced: 7.0/8.0/7.0, same as on 5.0/6.0/5.0--just not as "hot" on those points. Back to the amp example:
you can set your amp's EQ settings lie this--bass=4, mid=6, treble=4. The mids are more pronounced. You can put your amp's EQ settings to bass=8, mids=10, and treble=8. Same thing, just at lower settings. Basically, 7/8/7 is just "hotter" than the 5/6/5. I've got a headache now, but I hope that helps.
I think I get it. It would be like you were boosting all frequencies when the numbers are higher.
post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM

this is everything i need for my wiring issues, thank you so much!
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_prob_bob View Post
this is everything i need for my wiring issues, thank you so much!
You're welcome! I just wish the others would read through it before posting the typical, "I need a diagram for. ...."

post #51 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Man, what a great thread!! Thanks.
post #52 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sli38 View Post
Man, what a great thread!! Thanks.
You're welcome!
I'll try to get it updated a bit more soon.....

post #53 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM

I just want to Thank you AlaskaBat for this great source of diagrams! Since becoming disabled and unable to work i decided about a year ago to pick up my guitars again(the few i have left).
Well this Morning i decided to change around pickups. Putting the best combo in the guitars i play most, to change tones, etc. I have several different brand guitars and many different brands of pickups to switch around.
I read through MANY threads to help me decide where to try which pickups.
I just want to say thanks for all the time and effort you put into this thread because it SAVED me soooo much time having ALL the diagrams in one place!!!
Time to give them all a good testing now!
post #54 of 93 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrg View Post
I just want to Thank you AlaskaBat for this great source of diagrams! Since becoming disabled and unable to work i decided about a year ago to pick up my guitars again(the few i have left).
Well this Morning i decided to change around pickups. Putting the best combo in the guitars i play most, to change tones, etc. I have several different brand guitars and many different brands of pickups to switch around.
I read through MANY threads to help me decide where to try which pickups.
I just want to say thanks for all the time and effort you put into this thread because it SAVED me soooo much time having ALL the diagrams in one place!!!
Time to give them all a good testing now!
You're welcome!
I know how it is--I'm still active duty AF, but disabled and retiring soon. All I've got is my tinkering. If you need any help-- shoot me a PM. That goes for anyone else, too.

post #55 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 AM

Again,Thank You Bat! Very much appreciate it. and your willingness to help me out means a lot to me!!
post #56 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Here are very useful charts that explains the terminals on common switches:

post #57 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Hey all, first post so take it easy on me lol. I have spent ages reading trying tofind the answer to a problem i have. I know there are various links to follow (which i have) but i still can't find the answer to what i'm looking for.

Here goes:

I have an ibanez prestige rg1527 7 string fitted with v7 and v8 pick ups. I love the pick ups by the way. However, my secong guitar is a 7 string kramer striker. It did have 2 humbuckers fitted on a 3 way selector switch. I purchased another pair of v7 and v8 humbuckers off of ebay for a real cheap price. I figured i'd attempt my fist ever pick up swap. I first realised that i'd need a new 5 way selector switch to. I can'tfigure out how to solder the pick ups to it as it isn't an 8 pin selector that most of the info seems to be on. It is the same style as the old 3 way selector.....but obviously it is a 5 way selector. On the old selector ( and the new selector) it had a total of 7 soldering points. 3 down one side, 1 center and 3 down the other side. I can't fathom out or find anything that explains how to wire it up. The bridge pick up has 2 wires, red white and a bare and the neck pick up has 4 wires, red, white, green and black....and a bare. I just need help in sorting what needs soldering where.

On the old selector switch the red cable from the volume pot was soldered onto the centre soldering point of the sven points and the black cable from the volume pot was soldered to the body of the selector switch....so i'm assuming those 2 just need re soldering as they came off.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
post #58 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 AM

Still having a problem with mine. These pictures are good, but i need a pic of the completed wiring, etc.
post #59 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 AM

None of the links seem have to have a wiring diagram that matches how the Ibanez FR1620 Prestige is configured:

- H-H pup config
- no push pull pots / no 2-way switches
- VLX91 5-way switch
- Pos 1: bridge (series)
- Pos 2: bridge (split)
- Pos 3: bridge (split) + neck (split)
- Pos 4: neck (split)
- Pos 5: neck (series)

Similarly, I have not been able to find a diagram for this anywhere on the web.

Can somebody provide?
post #60 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticFrost View Post
None of the links seem have to have a wiring diagram that matches how the Ibanez FR1620 Prestige is configured:

- H-H pup config
- no push pull pots / no 2-way switches
- VLX91 5-way switch
- Pos 1: bridge (series)
- Pos 2: bridge (split)
- Pos 3: bridge (split) + neck (split)
- Pos 4: neck (split)
- Pos 5: neck (series)

Similarly, I have not been able to find a diagram for this anywhere on the web.

Can somebody provide?
Go check the reply I left for you on the Ibanez Forum....

Tags
diagrams , pickups , soldering , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode