Another pickup wiring resource thread! - Page 5 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Another pickup wiring resource thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therodog View Post
Still having a problem with mine. These pictures are good, but i need a pic of the completed wiring, etc.
If you tell us what you need--we can help.
All you have to do is find and follow the diagram.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks AlaskaBat.

I'd like to see if someone has already run across this and figured out how to do it w the VLX91 switch.

There's another possibility too - Ibanez used this scheme in a previous production git and it's wiring scheme is available on the Ibby site. Anyone???

The thing is, w/o knowing the git model and year, I'd taking a time a time-draining shot in the dark approach if I just 'checked out' every diagram on the Ibanez site until I found it. Might not recognize it when I came across it - some of the diagrams there do not state what pickup awitching scheme they 'achieve.'
post #63 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM

post #64 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM

xXLinkageXx and AlaskaBat,

I see my misunderstanding now. The VLX91 *is* a standard design 5-way switch. I had found threads on this forum and sevenstring.org that were dicussing how a number of Ibanez 5-way switch designs are *not* standard design - and I ended up with a wrong understanding that the VLX91 is one of them.

So, yes, either of those diagrams that both of you referred to from guitarelectronics.com looks like they would work out fine.

Thanks much and sorry for the confusion!
post #65 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticFrost View Post
xXLinkageXx and AlaskaBat,

I see my misunderstanding now. The VLX91 *is* a standard design 5-way switch. I had found threads on this forum and sevenstring.org that were dicussing how a number of Ibanez 5-way switch designs are *not* standard design - and I ended up with a wrong understanding that the VLX91 is one of them.

So, yes, either of those diagrams that both of you referred to from guitarelectronics.com looks like they would work out fine.

Thanks much and sorry for the confusion!
Yes--the VLX91 is a multipole switch.
There is a chart in that sticky thread that shows the lug assignment for the switch.
You could also use any Jem diagram, as they use that switch.

post #66 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Use this diagram, but omit the middle pickup:

post #67 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't know how many people know, but I'm writing for the Seymour Duncan blog now. They just posted my latest article, which is about creating what I call a two stage potentiometer. You can switch between 500/250K using a DPDT switch or push-pull potentiometer. Diagrams, etc are in the blog post.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/ti...potentiometer/
post #68 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 2

I'm reverting this one to you guys...............

Is there a way to do a "tone tap" on a push/pull?

The setup is 1H- 1 volume.....(my RG410)
post #69 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Reviews: 120

So you want a volume and tone in one? You'd need a Concentric Pot for this. No push pull, just need special knobs for it.

post #70 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 03:55 PM

I'm looking for a wiring diagram and haven't spotted it in this post's various pages or links. Wondering if anyone can help.

Looking to convert an Ibby HSH guitar with 1 500k volume pot and 1 500k tone pot, to a SSH config w 1 500k volume pot for the humbucker and 1 250k volume pot for the two single coils - no more tone control. Switch will be a 5 way type so I can do the following:

1. Bridge hum
2. One Bridge coil in parallel w middle
3. Middle single coil
4. Neck and middle in parallel
5. Neck single coil

looking to accomplish this w/o push pull pots, mini switches, triple shots, etc. just all switched via the 5 way

Thanks!

Last edited by ArticFrost; 09-30-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #71 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM

I'm having a tech drop in a new set of pickups into my S5470. I had planned on doing it myself but I've been so busy I didn't have the time to do it.

So...I'm adding a hum cancelling HS3 Dimarzio in the middle position. I've seen a few indications but nothing definitive on whether the stock 5-way will work. The switch coil splits the hums in position two and four now but not in the middle. Do I need to swap out the 5 way to a 3PS1VLX91 to integrate the HS3 with two humbuckers?

I don't want him to start wiring this thing up and not realize he needs a new switch and then screw something up. I don't have the guitar in front of me at the moment and I don't have the part number for the OEM 5-way in the S5470. Thanks in advance.
post #72 of 93 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 AM

Here's Dimarzio's diagram, specifically for an Ibanez S5470 with three humbuckers (noise cancelling single in middle position). You will need the VLX91 switch.

post #73 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Use an RG560 diagram. Wiring a 250K pot is the same as a 500k.
guitarelectronics.com has similar diagrams.
Hint--just learn what each switch lug is assigned to.

post #74 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM

This is Outstanding info. really. .....just wish that chart showed some Kent Armstrong color codes. A few people have said Kent armstrong "should" be the same as SD . Not to pull topic from my Other post, but just for reference ...I have red,white,blk,green,bare wires on 2 humbuckers & matched them all with the same color & have it working,but now looking for info on how to get OUT of parallel & get them Into series. Very informative post ya got here though,definately. - Just tryin to figure out this series parallel stuff.
post #75 of 93 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

As soon as we find a reliable KA color code chart--I'm adding it.

Also--thanks to Mr. X for sharing his switching mod here:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/hs...ml#post1213775

Tags
diagrams , pickups , soldering , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in