any paf pro in the bridge users here? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

any paf pro in the bridge users here?

I know many like these in the neck but anyone like the pro in the bridge spot of a RG?
I was told that they are great for a very tight,balanced, lower output paf tone and have great pinch harmonics?
i like the tone of "satch boogie" and that is all pros on there remind me of the "hot for teacher" tone by EVH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Re: any paf pro in the bridge users here?

I replaced the PAF in the bridge of my BFP becuase i felt it lacekd 'bite'. The Evo fits in there nicely
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 AM

I really like PAF Pro in the bridge.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I really like PAF Pro in the bridge.
does the pro have a old paf feel and vibe in a RG?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar View Post
I was told that they are great for a very tight,balanced, lower output paf tone and have great pinch harmonics?
That pretty much sums it up very well. It is a slightly lower output pickup, but they really sound great and that's a good description.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM

I've used Paf Pros in a bunch of guitars and love them. They sound just as good in the bridge as they do the neck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM

I have one in the bridge in my custom alder strat. I like it alot. It won't do high gain metal but excellent for all other rock sounds, from 80's hard rock to slightly overdriven blues sounds.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Banned

i have paf pros (neck+bridge)on my 777vbk,but if im playing a solo which has lots of pinch marmonics i use my 7vwh,(bridge evo).rob
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarelaxe View Post
It won't do high gain metal
ARE YOU SURE?

http://www.guitar6.com/modules.php?n...howpage&pid=13

Trey says he uses the paf pro in the bridge and he is high gain metal and then some!
he says this in that interview
"my Bright Orange Ibanez RG Strat with a maple fretboard, 2 humbuckers, mid single coil. This is also my main tour bus guitar. Almost forgot, for my guitars I use the PAF Pro F spaced bridge pickup for my rhythm tone."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:17 PM

It is not as convincing as the evo I have on my other guitar when it comes to high gain distortion but maybe that's just my gear. no fancy tube preamps, just a few simple pedals into a marshall valvstate head and cab.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 3

I always wonder what people mean when they say a pickup 'won't do' high gain metal. The amount of gain involved is down to your amp far more than your pickup, and most 'high gain' players are going to have an excessive level of distortion available to them at the amp. So unless you're running on full, how hard the pickup is pushing the amp really isn't an issue. And if it is, then you need to consider getting a new amp, or a distortion pedal.

The PAF pro works great at the bridge for pretty much any genre of rock. It has a fairly 'even' sound and responds more dynamically to pick attack than a higher output pickup would. It's a great pickup to use if you prefer to control how you sound from your guitar's volume knob and your hands rather than from pedals.

Tags
alder strat , bridge pickup , distortion pedal , maple fret , maple fretboard , output pickup , paf pro , paf pros , pinch harmonics , satch boogie , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode