Any Strat Players using EMG? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Any Strat Players using EMG?

I'm interested in Installing my MIA Strat with an EMG SA set, but I'd like some hands on experience from someone who's already done it before.

I'm wanting to preserve the strat tone as best I can, as well as The typical glassy Icepick attack, and the sweet position 2 and 4 sound.

The reason I want to change, is becasue the neck is giving me a clunky Lead sound which doesn't cut the mustard and it I remember installing EM 85's Fixed my pacifica pretty well a few years back.

The pacifica is now housing seymour duncans becasue I got sick of playing metallica.

Any opinions / suggestions for other pickups would be grately apprechiated as buying Single Coil Aftermarket pickups is virgin territory for me.

Cheers,

Spike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:21 AM

Re: Any Strat Players using EMG?

Hi,
If you're in the UK you owe it to yourself to have a look at www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
The customer service is 2nd to none.

Darren

this is about the 3rd time I have recommended these guys here, I should be on commission
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:30 PM

If you're going to put the EMG-SA set on a strat why not get the Dave Gilmour set since it's really just the SA set with the SPC and EXG.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
If you're going to put the EMG-SA set on a strat why not get the Dave Gilmour set since it's really just the SA set with the SPC and EXG.
ditto.

its pretty much a drop in, too.

i like passive pickups myself, but if you want emgs...that would be the one.

btw, sa's are kinda drab sounding, they don't quack like a real single coil, but they ain't got the noise either. i personally can handle the hum, so i dig em.

rich
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't put EMGs in a strat or any guitar but hey its up to you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM

If you don't want to lose the strat quack from the 2 and 4 positions, my advice would be to find a Bartolini System 111b. It's going to have two modes: vintage strat, and fat mid boost. The boost mode has it's own knob for adjusting the amount of boost, which is fabulous. Someone in your position, debating EMG's will absolutely be satisfied with that Bartolini system, if you can find it. There are some US places like Guitarelectronics.com that would probably ship to you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:10 PM

Have you thought about Kinmans I think it is? Passives with no noise.. They also are passive I believe.. If you want a pickup that has great sound as far as strat sound, then by all means you should try the Rio Grande pickups.. God they have tone! That's what I'm going to put in the first strat I get a deal on! They just sound so great..
Tim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Kinman's, Suhr V60s, and DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 2.2s and 2.1s are the pickups I have heard good things about/
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 03:45 PM

I got a Virtual Vintage 2.1 for my rg570 neck position and it sounds great.

About the active, mid boost pickups... my friend's dad has a Eric Clapton strat with the mid boost and it sounds great. Just kick it in during a solo to get a fat sound...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugman
I got a Virtual Vintage 2.1 for my rg570 neck position and it sounds great.

About the active, mid boost pickups... my friend's dad has a Eric Clapton strat with the mid boost and it sounds great. Just kick it in during a solo to get a fat sound...
I've just fitted out my strat with the Clapton circuit - it already had DiMarzios (a heavy blues and a couple of virtual vintage) and despite my misgivings about active circuits, it is incredible!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM

if your very concerned about preserving the strat tone you wont be very happy with them. But in my opinion the sa's do soundb etter than the typical strat pickup. My first real experience with a good strat was an old american standard with the david gilmour setup, and i just thought it sounded amazing, still to this day one of the best clean sounds ive ever heard. It just had that WHOOMPH that was needed. It is very different but its noiseless and can be given some bit with the boost circuit. Give it a shot if you dont like it sell them on **** and move on
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:28 PM

The SA pro series prewired set my friend has in his fat strat are the best pickups i have ever heard. I think i mihgt have to change my jems paf pros to some HAs in the not-so-distant-future.

Tags
dave gilmour , david gilmour , eric clapton , fat strat , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , strat sound , strat tone , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode