Anybody an idea how an EVO / X2N sounds in a JEM77DY? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Anybody an idea how an EVO / X2N sounds in a JEM77DY?

Hi there!
Some time ago I started to search for another sound in my JEMDY (maple fingerboard). I replaced the PAF Pro bridge for a Tone Zone. The Tone Zone sounds like a screaming Lion with mega teath! It's agressive!!! I like that... but not always... so, I decided to try something different. Now I have the chance to exchange it for a Evo or a X2N.... ? Steve uses Evo, used X2N.. never used Evo in a maple fingerboard guitar. Maybe the Evo will have to much highs? or is the X2N only single minded: metal... which I'm not. I'd prefer good picking responce! And a clear / open sound... well... do both pickups let the guitarwood come out?... or should I put the PAF Pro back in?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:13 AM

i guess its up to u to decide! but if ur not into metal all the time, stay away from the x2n!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I can remember one time that I played on a RG5 with a X2N... it was incredible! Can't remember anymore if it had some picking dynamics... etc.. It sounds very different from the EVO?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 07:02 PM

Well of course they are different! each one has its own caracteristic, the evo's have a loud output, but not as much as the X2N, and the evo lacks in bass!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

do you mean that the X2N will turn the guitar into a metal machine and the EVO will sound too thin, will the maple fingerboard have effect? Will the X2N be really far from a Vai sound?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 3
the X2N has quite a bit of cut, just makes up for the bass the evo has, but the evo has extreme cut and scream.

I wouldnt agree with the X2N just for metal though.... sure it sucks for clean, but so do all high output bridge HBs

basically a lot of vai's tone comes from his amps as well as his pups and guitars, especially his fingers!

What i like the evo and x2n for is it gives a close sound but in your own style, theyre just bitching screamers and i would recommend both of them as theyre the dimarzio bridge pups i swear by.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:55 AM

I can tell you that the EVOs sound incredible. It may not look like it has a lot of bass from the charts on the website, but you can definitely get it if you want it. I want to try the X2N. It should be great for any bridge pickup activities that require distortion, but I wouldn't count on it having much of a clean tone. If you go for the X2N, you'll probably still be able to get a Vai-able sound, as amps, effects, settings, etc. are more important than pickups. Personally, I would probably go for the EVOs, but I don't think you can go horribly wrong with either pup.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:00 AM

or you can try a drop sonic, awsome freakin metal pickup man. just killer
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 11:23 AM

x2n in rg570

i have i x2n in my rg570 sounds great ,but it doesnt clean up much when you back off of the volume when your using a high gain amp ,but turn down the gain on your amp and it does brighten up some ,regardless it is a scorcher with great tone.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:58 PM

I have an Evo in my BFP, which is pretty much the same as your DY. It sounds great. Very versatile and compliments the stock PAF nicely.

~Kenny
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your writing! Indeed the BFP is quite similar to the DY. So you have a EVO in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck I suppose. I was a little affraid that the EVO will sound a little to bright in the guitar because it is basswood and it had a maple fingerboard. What's your idea? I suppose it will sound much different than the PAF Pro in the bridge?
Thanks in advance!

Amir.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadegh
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your writing! Indeed the BFP is quite similar to the DY. So you have a EVO in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck I suppose. I was a little affraid that the EVO will sound a little to bright in the guitar because it is basswood and it had a maple fingerboard. What's your idea? I suppose it will sound much different than the PAF Pro in the bridge?
Thanks in advance!

Amir.
I'm not quite sure what your question is...
My Jem sounds sweeter than any guitar I've ever plugged in. PAF/EVO is a great combination - i had it in my rg550 before i got the Jem. I have a Virtual2 in the middle position, which compliments both humbuckers very nicely.

~K
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

The EVO is not to bright in the guitar?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM

Not at all. Evo's got lotsa balls without being too sharp.

~K
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Not at all. Evo's got lotsa balls without being too sharp.

~K
I gotta agree there,the Evo,and Evo7 is sweet,very defined but without being too Top end(ish) It's not sharp at all

Rob

Tags
alder bodies , bridge pickup , bridge pup , clean tone , dimarzio bridge , high gain amp , maple fingerboard , paf pro , rosewood board , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode