Anyone else find the Evo Bridge too hot and bass heavy? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else find the Evo Bridge too hot and bass heavy?

Well do you?

I'm struggling with mine on my POD XT. In order to get a decent sound from it through the Treadplate (Dual Recto model) I have to turn the bass and mids down very low, turn the presence virtually off, and turn up the treble to about 8 or 9 o'clock.

The neck pickup is just fine, infact if you look at the specs for it on the dimarzio website, its almost identical to a PAF Pro. But the bridge pickup is the highest output pickup they make, and has loads of bass and mids.

I'm thinking that perhaps a white f-spaced FRED might do the trick. It has about 25% less output, and has less bass and mids.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:30 AM

I have a set of evo's in my MBK and an EVO7 in my RG7,I've really not found any problems with bass,Mids...Gain maybe when clean,but rolling off the vol a little sorts it out with no great loss in volume,I dunno what to suggest,maybe the Evo is just not for your ears,after all were all differant

The Fred is kinda Middy too,not as hot as the Evo by a long shot,Have you considered Breeds?

HTH

Rob
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 08:25 AM

If you observe DiMarzio's specs you'll see it's a kind of boosted paf pro.
Turn the volume on your guitar down a bit...and Evos aren't specifically bassy, I even find them to lack a bit of bass, which I apply on the amp...
Ofcourse one can never be certain on a modded guitar. My Jems seem perfectly normal to me. Add extra balls is the motto there.

BTW The most powerful DiMarzio is the X2N as far as I know
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:22 AM

hey dude.... maybe its just your XT ?
Im using my DBK with my XT, and it all works fine with the breeds and all.
I have found the Spinal puppet model to be more of heavy metal use, while the treadplate is just "chugga chugga"...i dont like it. You should try the puppet, and I'm sure your evos will scream back at ya!

(ps: did you upgrade your xt to 1.04 version?)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 AM

Have you tried backing the pickup away from your strings a bit? With a hot pickup, putting it too close to the strings can garble the low end.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i have them wound quite a bit off the strings. i don't know what it is... i have noticed the XT doesnt like high output pickups though.

Other than the output and bass on this pickup, the 7VWH is stunning.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

maybe ur right. maybe the treadplate aint great. it had been my fav amp on the XT for a while. i don't know why, but i never liked pupper.

i think pickups above 300mV output seem to distort the virtual pre-amp on the treadplate, and it doesnt seem to like that. i'm sure they probably rock through a real amp.

but looking on the dimarzio site...

your right, they arent bass heavy, just very high 404mV output.

i think its the output more than anything else thats the problem with the pickups and the XT. i'll experiment some more....

certainly, turning presence off, setting bass at 9 o'clock, mids at same, treble at 2:30, and gain around 9 o'clock got closer to a sound I liked.

interestingly I had the same problem with a tonezone in my PRS... though it is bass and mid heavy, but its also very high output... 394mV or there abouts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:36 AM

here's a suggestion. DON'T TURN OFF THE PRESCENCE.

that'll do the exact opposite of what you want. you're turning off all the clarity. and if you're running into a cab turn off the cab sim on the pod.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:15 PM

Evos Bassy???? the problem is not with ur evos dude, they have everything but bass! i think its ur poweramp! to what are u connecting ur pod?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Evos Bassy???? the problem is not with ur evos dude, they have everything but bass! i think its ur poweramp! to what are u connecting ur pod?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLegacy
here's a suggestion. DON'T TURN OFF THE PRESCENCE.

that'll do the exact opposite of what you want. you're turning off all the clarity. and if you're running into a cab turn off the cab sim on the pod.
not turning off the presence and the evos over power the amp and things break up unpleasantly. the only compromise was to turn down the presence and turn up the treble. without that theres so much gain that the signal gets messed up like putting a distortion pedal infront of a recto... it sounds terrible.

turning the presence down tames some of the output from the pickup, i'm not daft, i've been playing guitars for 16 years, and owned many great amps. just sold my rectoverb combo as it happens.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredseventh
very high quality headphones. as i've already said, i now realise its not the evos that are bassy, they're just too high output for the XT. gosh, even 25% less power and their output would still be considered high.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:26 AM

there's something fishy here... I have a jem7vwh and I own a flextone II 2x12 combo no problems there. I suggest something else is the problem. can you post sound clips?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:54 AM

Doesn't the POD XT have any kind of input attenuator? You should be able to turn down the input level a bit so it doesn't overload. Surely the POD should be able to work with high-output pickups. What would people with EMGs do?

Maybe try taking your guitar and headphones down to a store and try another POD. Maybe there's something wrong with yours that's causing the input section to clip.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:25 PM

How far did you lower the pickups off the strings? I'm probably over 1/4" off, and i'm still getting great results and plenty of gain form my TZ. If they sound too bassy and too hot, those are classic symptoms of pikcups too close to the strings.

Also, have you tried simply lowering the gain on the recto patch?

-D

Tags
air norton , amp distortion , bridge pickup , bridge pup , darren wilson , distortion pedal , dual recto , heavy metal , high output pickups , jem neck , mesa mark , mesa recto , neck pickup , neck pup , output pickup , paf pro , playing guitar , pod pro , prs mccarty , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode