Arrg i cant decide on a pickup combo! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Arrg i cant decide on a pickup combo!

Well i have an RG570, and im planning to replace the stock pups with dimarzios. But i dont know which ones to get. RIght now i have in mind:

Bridge | Neck
X2N | Paf Pro
Tone Zone | Air Norton
Fred | Paf Pro

But i really dont know much about thees pickups besides that ive seen people reccommend them. I play mostly classic 80's metal and anything that sounds good to my ears, even punk rock and modern and classic rock.

Can anyone give me some info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:25 PM

Re: Arrg i cant decide on a pickup combo!

Have you checked out the sound bytes on the DiMarzio website?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:35 PM

Of the three combos you listed above I think the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo is the best choice. Mainly because it can handle all of those situations you listed.

X2N is very powerful. Very aggressive and has lots of sustain. You'd probably be better of matching X2N w/ a Super 2 or something similar.

FRED/PAF PRO is also good, but I prefer the Tone Zone in the bridge for rhythm work.

Instead of PAF PRO give a listen to the Virtual PAF's. I used to like PAF PRO's but now find them a little too transparent/sterile sounding.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

hmm now im considering the Suber Distortion/ Paf Pro or Virtual; Paf combo. Ive heard its good, but is it hot enough to handle stuff like metallica, slayer and megadeth?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 PM

x2n is a nightmare as far as versatility.

Don't rule out the Evo Bridge/PAF Pro Neck combination. I've used it extensively in basswood and it's proven extremely versatile for me. My band goes from Allmans to Whitesnake to Nickelback to Santana to Marvin [email protected] and back again without a struggle from my guitar.

TZ/AN works GREAT in Mahogany (and maybe other types of wood), but I found the AN to be bottom heavy in basswood.

Good luck.
~K
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:32 AM

My favorite new pickup is the Air Zone. It has the same basic tone of the Tone Zone but you can put it even closer to the strings without it getting muddy which makes it a LOT more sensitive to pick attack and various other techniques. A good match for the Air Zone in the bridge is a PAF Pro (always a good starting pickup) or an Air Norton. I'm personally more a PAF Pro fan but some people swear by the Air Norton so I guess it's worth mentioning.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 PM

Pickups make a huge diffeernce in your tone, so I have been having a similar problem.

I tried a Tonezone in my RG. Nice...but too fat for my tastes.

Tried a PAF Pro: Sweet, but a bit weak on the bass side.

Tried an Evolution: Holy crap! Powerful, loud, intense. I like it.

BUT...I also like the low/medium PAF Pro at times. Tried it with my YJM OD...was getting some mighty tone, and it sharpened the bass a bit.
Just reminded me: I need an EQ.

In the past 2 days, I have swapped pickups 3 times (lots of soldering practice!), and I still don't know what I like best!

Try buying a pickup and try it out...you can always trade it in.

Bob
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 02:35 PM

what bob said...

the Evo is great in the bridge, but a little harsh to my ears in the neck.
the PAF Pro is great in the neck, but a little soft to m ears in the bridge
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

hmm so it seems that the Evo/ Paf pro combo is the one most favoured around here? Ive heard elsewhere that the evo can sometimes to too harsh and cold, is this true?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 07:22 PM

my personal fave in any guitar is the AN/TZ combo...especially in mahogany.

for basswood, tho, my faves are the super3 in the bridge and the fred in the neck. the fred doesn't mud out like most neck hums and has cool splitand single tones. the super3 is mean like x2n and the evo, but has a little more range. has gobs of gain, but won't end up stabbing you in the eye.
maybe its just me, but i am not a huge fan of the fred in the bridge. i used to have one there and just wanted it to have more...across the board. cool harmonics, tho. like unatural ones. paf pros are nice pickups, but i think that basswood holds them back. now, in mahogany...happy pants. moreso for the neck than the bridge. but to make a long story short....AN/TZ!

rich
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

well my guitar is basswood, so would the tonezone/ air norton combo still be good? And can it handle heavier stuff as well?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:15 PM

The TZ/AN combo can handle heavier stuff no problem. But personally, I prefer the PAF Pro to the Norton. It just sings out a bit more IMO. And I'd probably still take the Air Zone over the Tone Zone just because it can also do the heavy stuff but it's a much more sensitive pickup and will be more versatile because it actually has more "tone" than power.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

So you think a TZ/Paf Pro combo would be better thab TZ/AN?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 05:54 PM

hmm...I've tried just about all of these combos (including this very odd combination a guy in a music store recommended-X2N bridge and Tone Zone neck...don't do it), and as far as what you're talking about, I flat out wouldn't go with the Tone Zone. it has a lot of mid range, great for solos, but if you plan on doing ANY rythm at all, it wouldn't do anything for you. I used to have a 550 with a set of Evos and I thought it was asolutely great, you can do lead, rythm and just about everything in between, but it depends what you want it for. If this guitar will be for rythm, I'd suggest a Steve's Special bridge. If it's a lead guitar (or an all-purpose guitar) I'd suggest Evos. Either way, I'd go with the PAF Pro in the neck because you can do just about anything with it. If you like playing clean, it will do a smooth but snappy clean sound but with the tone rolled off, you can get really nice quiet sounds. But as far as bridge, I'd go with the Evo /
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 05:56 PM

and like rty13ibz98 said, the Super 3 would do good as well.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , dimarzio pickup , evo bridge , heavy metal , maple neck , music store , paf pro , paf pro combo , paf pro neck , paf pros , peavey classic , pickup combo , pro combo , pro neck , tone zone , tube amp , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode