backwards? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

backwards?

putting a pickup in backwards wont change anything correct? the right way is the side the cords coming out on the same side as the who correct?

oops i ment hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 04:24 PM

If you have The Who coming out of your guitar, I don't think changing the pickups will help that. And you may also be infringing on copyright laws.

But seriously, on a humbucker the only real difference is that in single coil operation, the working coil is now located on the other side. Unless you have a Dimarzio "dual resonance" patented pickup, then you may notice other differences. For example if one coil is bassier than the other, if you flip it you just put the bassier coil in the other position. That will change the tone. I just flipped my Megadrive (in the neck position, its pretty great ) around because one coil reads around 11k while the other coil reads around 4.5k I had the hotter coil with the bar magnet closer to the bridge, and I knew right away it wasn't right. Now it's closer to the neck and the magic is back! By the way, on that guitar I can select either of the coils in single coil mode, so it's even more important that the right sounding coil is in the right location.
In a chrome covered pickup the physical location of the screw poles is higher on the side they come through the cover, so that coil is "louder." So if you flip that you'd notice a difference, too.
Single coils usually have staggered magnets to compensate for varying string volume, and so then flipping those makes certain strings louder than others, disproportionately. Some say that's part of the secret to Hendrix' sound, that he had the strings going the opposite direction across standard pickups, and that lefty singles in your righty guitar would recreate that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

i guess it will just take some getting adj to the steves special its a real nice sounding clean warm pickup wereas the tone in my other guitar is a little more brutal
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 12:29 PM

The S.S. is a dual resonance pickup so there theoretically would be some difference if you flipped it. I have one on the way thanks to lhrocker but I don't know how different the two coils are. Usually when they talk about boosted highs and lows its from one coil being bright and the other being dark. If that's the case there'll be a difference. The Fred sounds different if it's flipped.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

well im going to flip it and see what happens
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:46 PM

SSs are said to be brighter if the cable exit is pointed towards the bridge.

Freak
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:52 PM

I never had the Who coming out of my guitar, it was always Slade or the Kinks...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

i switched it and it doesnt seem as bassy now on the high e i dont know sounds alot diff a little more edgy not as smooth i like it better now...the wire is now coming from the top side instead of the high e side
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
I never had the Who coming out of my guitar, it was always Slade or the Kinks...
well the who thats comes out of my guitar is "who" the heck is playing so badly its not me the guitar its him the player that sounds horrid

Tags
coil mode , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode