Bad ground???? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Bad ground????

Hello good people. My neg wire on my output jack has been taped on for months because the peice of metal that you solder it to was busted off. So I took the jack off of a friends guitar and put it on mine and soldered it on and then I went to play and everytime I touch anything metal the thing starts buzzing like hell. I cant even turn on distortion because its just horrible. I thought that maybe I soldered them backwards so I switched them and its still the same thing. Theres nothing wronge with any of the wiring and I just cant figure it out. The only thing that I can think of is when I was soldering it the first time I got a power surge and my solder gun exploded. Could that jolt have ruined one of my pots or even my pickups? I should know soon enough if its the pickups I just ordered new pups that should be here in a few days. ANYWAY!! If anyone has any ideas on what it might be PLEAASSSEEEE!!! help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:18 AM
Kii

Re: Bad ground????

Did the tremolo ground wire somehow come loose?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Nope its just fine.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:30 AM

The ground is conected to the hot curcut somewhere. some thing isnt wired right.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 AM

Is it a stereo output jack by chance, with three lugs? I wired up one just a few days ago, got confused as to which lug is which and wound up with exactly the same situation as you're in. I ended up just trying different combinations until I got it right. Assuming you didn't change any other wiring in the guitar, this seems like a fairly likely explanation.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Nope. Just the 2. I pulled it out of a squire. I didnt change any of the wiring at all. I just switched the jacks and I even tryed wiring it backwards. It did the same exact thing except I didnt get as much sound. Before I switched them I always had a buzz untill I touched the strings then the buzz went away. Now theres no buzz untill I touch the strings. The buzz is about twice as loud as my sound output. I realize that when I get my volume turned down more than 1/4 below full the buzz gets much louder untill the volume is turned completely off. I have a 5 way switch and when I have it switched to the parts that arent wired the buzz gets really loud too. The only way I can cut down on the buzz is turning the tone all the way off and turning highs all the way down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode