Bad input jacks and other electronics - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Bad input jacks and other electronics

Recently I have been finally getting to wiring up a few of my guitars I've had sitting on the backburner. In doing this I've come across several bad input jacks that I've ordered off of ebay. I pretty much always use switchcraft jacks so when I got them I made sure the listing said switchcraft. When they came in they looked all well and good but upon wiring it up they were obviously cheap chinese knockoff crap jacks. When I plugged the guitar in to test all it did was buzz and squeal very loudly. At first I thought maybe I got the wiring wrong but after inspection everything was fine. So I swapped out the jack with one I knew was a genuine switchcraft and everything was perfect, no buzzing or squealing just as it should be.

Most of us know to be cautious when getting stuff like this from ebay but every once in a while we still get burned. I'm not necessarily going to blame the seller for being dishonest because those bulk item sellers probably don't even see the merchendise they're selling and wouldn't know the difference if they did see it. So I wanted to throw this little warning out there that if your are getting guitar electronics off the bay be careful, just because the listing say it's a genuine manafaturers part it may not be. You'll be better off buying from a reputable website that sells genuine parts.

I hope this little warning helps out so people don't get ripped off. Or at least it's something to keep in mind if stuff just isn't working right, you may have ended up with some bad electronics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Banned

Re: Bad input jacks and other electronics

How much did you pay?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I paid something like $10/piece or so, I wasn't out much money. It was the barrel style jack. It's alot cheaper for me to order them online than get it locally. For some reason the local shops want to charge like $25+ for them especially if you want something other than chrome.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Digi-Key is a good source for electronic parts... jacks, switches, capacitors, etc. Prices are very low when buying direct from a non-music store or outlet.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25

Edit - They sell to electronics professionals and manufacturers, so the site is not as intuitive as shopping for "guitar parts".... but I'm usually able to find what I need by searching, usually by manufacturer. The link above is all 1/4" (6.35mm) phone jacks by Switchcraft.

Last edited by FireEagle; 04-07-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: info
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM

i like small bear electronics. They specialize in guitar related audio applications.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I usually do a good size order when I need parts for a project from stew-mac or warmoth, or small bear if I want to stock up on electronics. In this case I only needed a couple of barrel jacks so I went the ebay route and got burned with cheap parts listed as genuine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 2

GuitarElectronics.com has switchcraft barrel jacks between $8-$12 depending on the finish you want. They ship super fast. I don't use anybody else......so far.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...___bass_jacks/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Enrg Tech is UKs leading Authorized electronic components distributors. Has millions of electronic components like switches,Led,Drivers,Capacitors,connectors and Dc converters and offers same day shipping. New components added daily..The biggest store of electronic, electrical components and spare parts Search and find anything you need. Buy amazing electronic items here with 50%

Tags
electronics , jack , pot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode