Bartolini? Lindy Fralin? Pickup Advice Needed- - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Bartolini? Lindy Fralin? Pickup Advice Needed-

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with either brand of these pickups. I am interested in getting a hot, vintage sound out of my Les Paul and I think that DiMarzio's or SD's may not cut the mustard here. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these brands? Lindy Fralin seems to be top notch, but maybe not worth the money. And Bartolini's, well....I think I've heard those mentioned ONCE ever and really am just looking for some opinions. Any help guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:17 PM

If you heard them mentioned here it was probably me. They can be hard to get because he runs a small shop and does a lot of oem work for major builders. He'll make time to do customs, though, too. I have about 10 custom Bartolinis he made for me.

There's no finer pickup when it comes to build quality and research and development. Bill was a nuclear sound engineer back in the day. He is one of the smartest people I've met in this business, and he and his wife among the nicest. But that doesn't mean you'll like all their pickups. There are tons of models, many created for a specific person or need, then marketed later. So you might hear one and think you don't like Bartolinis but you really just don't like "that one". His descriptions are accurate and if you go with them, you won't be disappointed.

They do leave open the opportunity to go active, and my favorite setups are ones where I can switch from active to passive on the same guitar. He has some strictly active pickups, but they are essentially the passive counterparts with preamps built in rather than seperate. So if you don't have a lot of room in the control cavity, get those because you can still bypass the preamp if you want.

But don't avoid Bartolini because you don't want a fancy active complicated guitar, though. Their passive drop in replacements should still make you happier than S.D. or Dimarzio.

Best I can tell, Lindy is also one of the best pickup makers, but doesn't venture into new technologies. For a vintage tone he could be your choice, but I'd go with a Bartolini setup. Everyone who's tried them marvels at the string separation, too. The individual notes are cleanly defined, instead of mushed together.

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in