Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Bass, mids and treble of a pickup questions.

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  HeavyMetal4Ever 
#1 ·
I've always been told, can't turn down the mids on an amp if you want definition but a guy at Dimarzio told me less mids=clarity and more mids is muddy. Is this even remotely true? I was asking about it when debating on what to pair with my PAF 7 (D Sonic or Blaze Bridge) and the guy told me that the Blaze would be less muddy because it has less mids (but has more bass). Tis confusing.

#5 ·
yep, same here. Randy Rhoades was another one to use mids extensively.

It also has to do with what the frequency of that bass control on the amp is. Every amp is built differently so that'll vary. There are many other factors to what can make your sound muddy, cab design, speakers, the guitar itself...

#8 ·
every time i've ever called there it's been steve blucher that picks up the phone and talks my ear off. i'd ask to hear his comments in context. i only bring this up because i feel he's gone WAY out of his way to help me out. this kind of customer service from a company who isn't really sure whether or not you're going to actually buy their product is almost unheard of these days. i appreciate it.

either way, you never know about these things until you pipe them into your rig anyway.

mike

#9 ·
what is important for me to avoid mud is not mids but the pups low end and overall definition/articulation
some pups just have a blurry tone to em no matter what
like the duncan invader or a tone zone if it is set too close(both are bass heavy pups)
also i think that the lower output pups seem to breath a lot more and have a better overall definition(paf pro,fred, etc) but do not have a real big low end.
if you were told that a pup like the blaze will be less muddy it is TRUE
the blaze,steve special,megadrive were al designed with the mids backed off for better string seperation.
i found that true when i tried the SS, it had a big bass ,good trebs but less mids than usual
and tracked real fast 64ths runs real well
i would not go as far to say that a mid heavy pup will be muddy but it can be deppending on your guitar,amp and settings

#15 ·
ok so Dimarzio website says about Blaze Bridge:
"The mids are scooped out, and both treble and bass are boosted. The hot bass response gives the seventh string a lot of impact, while opening up the midrange keeps it from getting muddy"
Treb: 6
Mid: 4.5
Bass: 7

? Do they not know their own pickups?
And what's strange, in my opinion, is that the Blaze Neck has more Mid and less Bass. So it would be less muddy (in the neck and/or bridge), right?

#16 ·
While I agree that mids are generally associated with a tight tone, some pickups have an inherently loose and muddy midrange, like the Duncan Invader. Coupled with thick full bass and minimal treble and it can quite easily start to get muddy, something the DiMarzio Tone Zone can be prone to.

Pickups can be strange things, taking on completely different characters in different guitars and through different setups, and what sounds tight and clear through one setup may well sound thick and muddy in another.

It's also worth noting that some pickups with lots of mids focus more on the lower midrange registers and others focus on upper mids.

Hope that made some sense. :)

Rock on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.